trying for wire a bathroom extractor fan Humidistat model

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken out a very old extractor fan and having problems wiring the new one, the old fan was connected to a FCU (from the light) with L red,N black,E green and the connections on the new fan are 1-neutral supply,2-switch live in,3-live permanent what do i need to do? please help. also now the old fan has been disconnected i can only get the lights to work without tripping is to take out the fuse from the FCU

Sponsored Links
oh come on.. give us a fighting chance..

what model is the new fan?
what have you already connected to where?
post us photo's and wiring diagrams from the instructions..

oh come on.. give us a fighting chance..

what model is the new fan?
what have you already connected to where?
post us photo's and wiring diagrams from the instructions..

it is a Manrose Humidistat Model 15722-0001
i've not connected anything i'm just using the original FCU that the old fan was connected to the old fan was just like wiring a plug L,N,E old colour wires red,black,geen

the wiring for the new fan is as follows
terminal 1 - Neutral Supply
terminal 2 - Switch Live Supply
terminal 3 - Live permanent Supply

Sponsored Links
how does your existing fan work? does it come on with the light or did it have it's own sensor / pullcord?

anyway, live to live, neutral to neutral, earth to a terminal block and nothing in the switched live ( since you don't have a switched live there.. )

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/66/p3133466.pdf

the old fan came on when the light was turned on, when you say earth to a terminal block what does this mean, i'm a carpenter electrics are not my strong point

then you're screwed.. the fan need a permanent supply..
this means rewiring it's feed..
and as you don't even know what a terminal block is, then the best advise I can give you is get someone in who knows what they are doing..

you need to open the light and / or switch and swap the switched live feed to the fan to the permanent live side of the switch and / or light.

terminal block = chock block = connector strip etc..

You may have to put a wire link bertween the switched live and permanent live connections in the fan, that's 1- Neutral, 2&3 - Live.

Put the earth wire in a piece of choc bloc terminal strip, and leave it unconnected to anything else.

The fan should then run when the light is on, and stop when you turn it off.

To take advantage of the humidistat / timer, you would need additional wiring to connect a permanent live to the fan. You cannot use the earth wire as a live conductor.

These fans are normally wired with 3 core + earth cable via a 3 pole isolator instead of the 2 core + earth and FCU you have.

you don't need a link to the switched live, that's just an overide so it comes on when you turn the light on..
it will operate on humidity only if you just put a live feed to it..

also now the old fan has been disconnected i can only get the lights to work without tripping is to take out the fuse from the FCU
If all you did was to disconnect the old fan that makes no sense whatsoever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back