Trying to convert coalhouse into utility room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to convert my coalhouse into a utility room but condensation/mould is holding me back.

View media item 41028(the green staining is because water was running down the walls where the felt was rotten - now fixed)

I have tried adding an airbrick and use a humidifier but there is often condensation on the door and walls. This is leading to mould and I want to sort it out asap so I can get the washer in there. Its always cold down there so the warm moist air from the house always condenses down there.

View media item 41250
View media item 41251
View media item 41252
I have just redone the roof because the felt was rotten and the tiles were ruined.

I now think the way forward if to insulate it. How can I don this? Someone suggested insulated plasterboard?

Should I clean the old paint off? There is a few layers and I presume the previous owner just painted over the mould. The mould must be living off the paint so I guess scraping the paint off will stop the mould growing?

I dont want to move on til this problem is solved, I would hate to board it out, decorate and the problem return.

How should I progress?

Mick

View media item 40672

Sponsored Links
Its a problem that appears to be asked on a monthly basis here :D

Scrape all the loose paint. Treat with anti fungiside and paint with a barrier paint. Egg shell paints or one of those bathroom paints as long as its a barrier paint. Emulsions are like covering your walls in compost.

Sponsored Links
As well as insulating the walls I would also recommend installing a extractor as well, although you have already added a air brick a extractor will get rid of any moisture a lot better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back