Paint a bit cottage cheesey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bit of condensation mould (room next to bathroom with no extractor), prepped the walls with sugar soap and some antifungal spray.

As the paint (mouldtech bathroom plus) was applied, it seemed to take off the paint to the side, that was applied earlier. The result is basically, a horrible matt texture.

I suspect the problem might be:
  • *I didn't clean the wall well enough...
    *I applied the paint too thickly...
    *The paint was a little thick (perhaps not mixed well enough)
However, if you have patchy bit of paint - how do you recover from that?

Sand it down and start again?

It is rather depressing when you make your house that little bit crapper, when you are trying to improve things. Any suggestions appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the paint on the other wall was dry? I had a problem in a regency basement flat where I painted the whole room, went for a glass or three of wine with the intention of doing a final inebriated coat on my return only to find every last stitch of paint on the carpet having run off the walls while I was out. I painted it with the anti-damp goo and found it dried very sporadically, the result being that if I tried to paint it when it wasn't properly dry it looked like curdled vomit.

Needless to say I gave up, had some more wine and after swearing at it for a few hours it dried properly and all was well with the world, and the paint.

If the room is intrinsically damp you need to take that in to account when thinking about drying times, I suppose the damp cover paint is not much more than PVA glue mixed with paint and so needs to be dry or it goes like that stuff you put on your hands as a bored child that turns in to grey snot if you touch it.

De-humidifier?

Could be wrong, probably am, but that is my thoughts and nobody else had answered so I thought I might as well.

You have my sympathies. It sounds just like my experience with our student house bathroom.

Our solution was to chuck out the mouldtech paint, which proved useless, and use Zinsser Permawhite (which, despite its name, can be tinted to most pastel shades). Very effective and guaranteed mouldproof for 5 years.

Hey mrsdean,

In my case, the damp isn't really an issue if you open the window when you shower - which the previous owners seemingly never did.

I will heed your advice and make sure it is thoroughly dry before attempting anything.

emilybronte - I should have probably looked harder for paint recommendations... I can't imagine painting over the area is going to make it look much better. I will take another look at it in the morning.

Sponsored Links
You may just need to let the room dry out propely and kill off the mould before trying to cover it up. Most moulds need moisture, food and warmth to exist so if you bugger up one of those sources of joy you can murder it. Suffocation is probably the best course of action (damp-proofing paint etc) but again, just let it dry, properly. There are probably greeblies that you can't see making a mockery of your wall which will die given the correct amount of chastisement.

I pretty much had the walls pristine, apart (perhaps) from a little bit of sugar soap residue. My problem was the paint was rollering on really thick - so much so that when it dried a teensy weensy amount, rolling over it when painting the next section lifted paint in lumps.

I have no idea how to fix that issue, I am hopeful the mould will not come back too soon... but you never know.

It really does sound like the paint is still wet and believe me if the wall is wet even a week later it can still be tacky. Tedious I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back