How to fix botched 'fix' of peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The paint in one of the internal plastered walls started to peel. Trying to fix it, I flaked off the surrounding areas and used the original paint left by the decorators to fix. However, it looks horrible. The chipped area is still visible and having used a brush to thickly lay on the paint it appears to be a different shade and texture to the rest of the wall that was applied with a roller.

I've looked at quite a few videos and now understand (but ready to be corrected if mistaken) that I should have used a filler to smooth the surface and a primer before painting with a roller.

But the question I have is how do I fix this botched job? Do I need to remove the paint I have applied by sanding and or scraping or can I simply apply filler over paint to smooth the area and apply the paint correctly?

I've attached a photo. If helpful, the ain't is Dulux Trade diamond matt.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_192811949.jpg
    PXL_20220102_192811949.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
It all depends how much work you want to do.

If you start scrape loose paint, you can end up doing half the wall, finding some comes off and some doesn't, and you have these massive bare patches you then have to spend hours on.

If you want a quick, lazy fix without too much drama - check the affected area is reasonably sound, no loose bits or bits sticking up.

If it seems that too much of the old paint is going to peel away - stop. Cut away at the paint with a sharp blade, to stop further paint coming away.

Apply filler over the area, and remove the excess.

There's no point in sanding excessive lumps of filler, so remove excess immediately.

Sand the area with a fine sand paper.

Repeat the process as required till you think it's flat and smooth enough.

Put some of your emulsion in a container and dilute slightly with water.

When dry apply two more coats.

If when fully dry, you may decide it needs the whole wall painting, as you can see a patch.

If you do decide to do this, bear in mind re-painting walls can pull off previously bad applied paint - so be prepared for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back