Trying to decide which boiler - Given a Range

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have a typical redrow type house, 3 bedroom detached (2 normal sized rooms, 1 box room)

Downstairs - 5 rads
Upstairs - 5 rads

The current system is an open vented icos HE24, with a small expansion tank in the loft, and two huge black plastic tanks (unknown what they are for). The 2 showers are electric. Pipework is 10mm.

Had two gas fitters come around, and have quoted a range of boilers:

Installer 1
Glow-Worm Compact 28kw - 5 year warranty
Worcester 4000 30kw - 10 year warranty

Installer 2
Main (Baxi) 30kw combi boiler - 5 year warranty
Glowworm Energy 30kw - 10 year warranty
Ideal Logic Max 30kw - 10 year warranty
Baxi 800 30kw - 10 year warranty
Worcester 4000 30kw - 7 year guarantee

I have researched each boiler, and am going around in circles. I know Worcester is recommended by default (I've personally had an Ideal) but ask for help from the experts here as I'm out of my depth on this one.

Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Absolutely none of them are suitable installers.

30kwh could run a hotel.

30kwh could run a hotel.

The boiler we have at the moment is an icos HE24 (just edited my main post). I asked a couple of neighbors (similar style houses) and they have had the same kw boilers installed (house is roughly 130sqm)

I’m presuming from the boilers you want a Combi boiler? The 2 black cisterns in the loft will be the cold water to replenish the cylinder for hot water, unsure why there’s 2 if you have an expansion one too?

Sponsored Links
Your current boiler and your neighbours boilers have absolutely no influence on what the correctly sized boiler for your home is.

30kwh could run a hotel.
The 30 Kw is likely for the hot water delivery as they’re all combi’s. However might not be needed if op is keeping the electric showers

The boiler we have at the moment is an icos HE24 (just edited my main post). I asked a couple of neighbors (similar style houses) and they have had the same kw boilers installed (house is roughly 130sqm)
Why do you want to change it?
For a typical 10 rad house your existing 24 kW is well oversized.
Sounds like another case of installers trying to push you towards a combi, which probably isn't your best option.
Do a proper heat loss calc, and get a replacement heat-only boiler rated for that.

Why do you want to change it?
For a typical 10 rad house your existing 24 kW is well oversized.
Sounds like another case of installers trying to push you towards a combi, which probably isn't your best option.
Do a proper heat loss calc, and get a replacement heat-only boiler rated for that.
Thankyou, the current boiler is on its last legs and has needed replacing for the past year,

The 30 Kw is likely for the hot water delivery as they’re all combi’s. However might not be needed if op is keeping the electric showers
we will be keeping the electric showers, we dont have a bath and may install one in the future

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I’m presuming from the boilers you want a Combi boiler? The 2 black cisterns in the loft will be the cold water to replenish the cylinder for hot water, unsure why there’s 2 if you have an expansion one too?
Good question, I've tried to follow the pipework, but it's like a rat maze. Can confidently say the installers probably did a rush job(!)

no bath and just electric showers then your best option is the combi route but a 24/5kw combi will be more than sufficient no need to go 30kw .
The main is a re badged baxi and a very reliable boiler at cracking price .
Worcester have a very good marketing image sadly their boilers dont match up to the hype .
Logic not a bad boiler but has had its problems with leaking sumps and heat exchangers over the years

Anyone who is quoting a combi boiler replacement without telling you the required LPM hot water delivery has unfortunately had training from the last century.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back