Trying to get an old boiler repaired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I have an old Gloworm Fuelsaver MKII Model 30B boiler which has been excellent in the 18 years since I moved here. Earlier this year I had a bad sludge build-up in the radiators which caused it to overheat. I heard a 'click' & since then I've been able to light the pilot light but it goes out when I release the button.
I had a powerflush done. I've had 2 plumbers out since then. I asked one to fit a new thermocouple, which he did, but the problem persisted. Apart from that, neither plumber seemed remotely interested in trying to fix it & just said 'you can't get the parts for these any more' & suggested I get a new boiler.
I've spoken to 2 other very experienced plumbers, one a mate, who both said the overheat stat has probably gone & that they are available quite cheaply. I was told how to test that for sure but I really don't feel comfortable working on a gas appliance. Unfortunately they both live a long way away.
I guess my question is how can I find an experienced plumber who's used to & willing to work on an old boiler ? I've been without central heating for about 8 months now.
Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.
Area: North London
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@Auk66 it is true that many parts for your boiler are obsolete, but a few are available. One of the two guys I've tagged above might be able to help you. I don't see why you think a replacement boiler "might not last 10 years" though? A good quality boiler, will installed and maintained, should last 20+ years

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much muggles. I'm sure there are decent new boilers, just heard a few horror stories including from friends who had to have a 'new' boiler replaced after about 8 years. Seems a shame to junk a good old one, not to mention the cost involved. Thanks again.

Very busy now. The over heat stat is obsolete now, but might be able to get it off eBay. I found more times it is higher contact resistance than a faulty over heat stat.

Capture.JPG

Thanks Dan Robinson & Hertsboilers. If either of you have the time to do the job, please feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Thanks very much muggles. I'm sure there are decent new boilers, just heard a few horror stories including from friends who had to hay the a 'new' boiler replaced after about 8 years. Seems a shame to junk a good old one, not to mention the cost involved. Thanks again.

The problem is not necessarily the boiler - but often the filthy water that is left in the system. An old boiler will cope with sludge easily - a modern one won't. Probably the most common complaint is the HW flowing hot and cold, mostly caused by debris in the P2P Hex.

It will not show for a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back