replacement boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a glow-worm fulsaver mkII 30b installed in my 2 bedroom flat. Unfortunately the boiler has switched off and won re-light, so i have decided to get it replaced rather than get it fixed as its around 20 years old!

I thought it would be good to switch to a combi boiler and get the benefit of instant hot water. I have been considering the baxi combi 80e.

Does anybody have any comments about these boilers?

Also, what are the risks of switching to a combi system from an open vented system?

I have been told that i risk the pipes leaking once they are under mains pressure. is this true? unfortunately, most of the copper piping is under the concrete floor!

thanks for your comments...

Also - can somebody recommend a direct replacement for the fuelsaver if i decided to stick with the same system...

Sponsored Links
Do a search on the baxi on this forum and then see if you still want one. :LOL:

Personally I would spend the extra and have a Valliant or Worcester.
Changing to mains pressure could affect the pipework as will the 20yrs worth of crud in your system which will need powerflushing prior to fitting the new boiler.

Check out your local Corgi fitters in the local paper who will be doing deals on a completely new system. Less than 2 K in my area.
Insist on a top notch boiler tho and pay the extra. :D

thanks for your comments, i had thought about the worcester 24cdi and the worcester 28i junior too. i may stick to one of these instead!

Do you think it would be too optimistic to try and fit one of these under a worktop?

The flat has plasterboard walls, so I may have an issue with wall mounting!

Your Corgi fitter will probably reinforce the stud walls with extra noggins etc prior to mounting boiler.
Worcester have a good reputation. :D

Sponsored Links
Bahco - thanks for your help!

final question! - what about the pipes, they look okay, but is there a test that could show whether they could take the extra pressure?

how much of a risk is it?

how important is it that the boiler is the first feed of the water mains?
if i have cold taps taking water first, will it significantly affects the performance of the boiler?

Air pressure test by a plumber.
Your pipes have been under low pressure since fitting so 1 bar plus of pressure could burst some joints and I doubt whether the boiler fitter will take the risk.
As long as you have good water pressure the feed will not be the first off the mains but your fitter will check mains pressure prior to fitting.
Get an engineer in and stop faffing about. :LOL:

I would be unhappy about putting a sealed system onto old pipework buried under concrete, I would suggest an open vent system using a Worcester 28Cdi with the optional Worcester open vent kit, problem is it will need fitting before April.

thanks for the reply?

Is the open vent kit option available for the 24CDi as well?

I only have a small place (all on one floor with only kitchen, bathroom and 6 small sized radiators)

Im uncertain whether I should opt for a direct replacement and keep the same system or go through (what is sounding to be) the hassle of switching to a combi system!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back