Bangin Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Glow worm Fuel saver 30B MKII boiler, on start up it bangs away like someone’s hitting it. At the hot water tank vent I have to keep venting air, rads seem ok. Is the system sucking in air or have I just not got rid of it all? Only seems to be the hot water circuit at fault. Is my boiler a relic, im pretty sure it’s over 15 years old now; also what’s the black water all about? :oops:

Sponsored Links
Just had another look today, and noticed that the pump was`nt going round, this in situ with that banging noises, checked pump out and its getting stuck intermittantly, not sure if the pumps at fault or theres just dirt in the pipes causeing the impella not to turn, anyway unscrewed the black nob at the back of the pump, and it started going again? can the pumps get jammed in some way, maybe scale in the pipes etc. Help need ungently come on you corgi guys!!!

I'm not a plumber but I think you'll find that the banging is caused by water boiling in the heat exchanger. Do the job right by changing the pump, cleaning out the system and adding Fernox. The whole job will cost less than £50. Better than wrecking your boiler.

joe

Can't believe you wrote that!
Obviously, if a boiler is making loud banging noises it's not doing itself any good.
Then you discover why (no water circulation because the pump's jammed), so you (VERY temporarily) unjam the pump and then let the boiler run, so it'll soon start banging itself to bits AGAIN!

Tell you what: forget repairs and servicing costs. In your case they're clearly a waste of time. Just buy yourself a brand-newboiler every couple of years!

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
I'm not a plumber but I think you'll find that the banging is caused by water boiling in the heat exchanger. Do the job right by changing the pump, cleaning out the system and adding Fernox. The whole job will cost less than £50. Better than wrecking your boiler.
Good advice, but not an accurate indication of the likely cost.

I would allow £60 for pump, £5 for valves, £17 for MB-1 (or equivalent), and another £5-£10 for sundries. A total of £90 minimum.

Also, a system in a gunged state is likely to have other problems that will be found only while repairing it.

If a pump is providing torque when its powered then its almost always being seized up by dirt in the system.

Cleaning the dirt is the only way to deal with the problem.

Power flushing or chemical treatment is the only way to solve it. You should not have let it get into that state.

Tony

All sorted now it was the pump bought a wilo RS 60 for £44 2x gate valves and some sentinel stuff £84 all in. boiler is as quite as a mouse now and the house is as hot as an oven. Every time I checked the old pump it was working sods law, On this last occasion it actually stopped as I was next to it. Flushed the whole system out and then added the sentinel x100 and x200, all seems fine now. Yes it should have been clean a long time ago but there you go, you live and learn. I didn’t know much about heating systems until this happened, but trolling the net for days on end and bumping into this site helped me loads. Thanks all you save me quite a few quid. croydoncorgi chill out you sound like me mam.

Forgot I was on here all that time ago :D

Just a quick update, still going strong to this very day :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back