Boiler pilot light problem

MPW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Glow Worm Space Saver MKII boiler and the pilot light will not stay on, hence no heating or hot water. It went out a couple of weeks ago but I got it going again, but its gone out again and I can't get the pilot light to stay alight at all.

Is this a problem thats easily fixed or is it time for a new boiler?

Thanks

MPW :(

Sponsored Links
The pilot assembly may need removing and cleaning, readjusting or a new thermocouple may be required.

A CORGI engineer is required and would be expected to take about 30-60 minutes on the job.

That probably means about £50 to £90 in total depending on the charging methods.

Tony

I called a guy out the other night and he replaced the TC and charged just £35 for it. The boiler was working Ok, until about an hour later when it went off along with the pilot light again. I have been trying to get in touch with the gas man again, but he's not responding! The pilot light does seem to stay alight now, but after the boiler has been working OK for an hour or so, it goes off and then won't start up again until hours later.

Sponsored Links
That price must have sounded very reasonable indeed, at least for an hour until it went off again ! Now, at this cold weekend he is not responding!

We would have charged £88 including the part in London BUT that would have included properly diagnosing the real cause of the problem and dealing with it as appropriate. As I said before, the pilot assembly may need removing and cleaning, readjusting or a new thermocouple may be required.

Furthermore, in the unlikely event that any further pilot related problems arose during the following three months, then they would be fixed at no additional cost.

As you have found out to your cost, the cheapest is not always the best value! Merely changing the t/c is not always the proper solution.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back