Boiler Keeps Going Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Glow Worm Fuel Saver MKII which tends to go out when the heating has been on for a while. It can also take quite a while to re-light it when this happens.

Sponsored Links
Had it serviced this millenium? ;) (The pilot jet can get blocked).

Could also be that it's getting too hot and the Over Heat stat is cutting out. Tis will have to cool down before you will be able to relight. Could be sludge build up, pump going slow, an air lock, etc etc..Or a faulty O/H stat.

A thing to check early would be air at a bleed point near HW cylinder , up from where the boiler pipes go in. All depends on your sytem though - fully pumped, how old, does it collect air in rads?.

Had it serviced about 10 months ago. I'll check the bleed point next to the cylinder.

I do have to bleed one radiator most days however - significant?

When the old pump went slow before it was replaced (couple of years ago) the bolier would sound like somebody was hitting it with a hammer - it doesn't do this now though, it just goes out.

"bleed one radiator most days however - significant? "

Can be: Corrosion - leads to gas (hydrogen - it lights!) and sludge in the rads and pipes which stops circulation. You shouldn't have to bleed every day. COuld be other causes - like sucking air dwn the vent - also leads to corrosion cos of new oxygen.

Old Glow wqorm castings were exceptiojnally rough though which can cause little bubble sin the heat exchanger , though noise is usually noticed.

"a while to re-light it " How long?

Sponsored Links
You can hear noise alright - it wakes me up at 5am every day. Sounds like the pump is moving bubbles around the system.
Hmm, how would air get drawn into the vent? (excuse my ignorance).

It will take about 5 mins to relight - that is constantly pressing at the ignition button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back