trying to put curtain rail up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing up my daughter room & decided to take the curtain pelmet down ( big mistake ) , to make it easier to decorate around it . I thought I would just be able to drill into the wall & re fix a curtain poll up . I found out now that my drill will hardly go into the wall , someone tells me there are metal bits in the wall above the windows . I have tried fixing the poll fixings up with no nails & they just come off eventually , I got three small blocks of wood & stuck them up with no nails hoping to drill through them & hopefully a bit of the wall so a rawl plug would catch & I could re fit the poll , but once I had drilled through I put the plugs in & then tried to fix a screw in to one of them & all that happens is the blocks now just pull off the wall when I am tightening them up .
Can anyone help me with this as I am at my wits end :(

Sponsored Links
Why cant you just refit the pelmet?
If there is a metal lintel, then use a drill suitable for metal.

we took the pelmet off a while ago & didn't think I would need it so it got thrown away . The idea was to not have a pelmet & just drill in to the wall & fit a curtain poll above the window . I have had a lot of problems drilling in the walls in my house either it wont drill more than a few mils or the walls just start to crumble & I then end up with a massive hole in them .
There were no holes to refix the old pelmet , when I took it down I think it was held on by some sort of pins

As mentioned and from your description, your trying to fix to metal lintels. Use an appropriate drill bit and fix then.

Sponsored Links
Do you use a hammer drill?
Do you use masonry bits?
Do you use a ladder to ensure you can apply pressure to drill?
Answering no or don't know to any of these question would explain your struggle.
If gluing a baton to wall it needs to be full length to obtain sufficient purchase, if you then put a screw in longer than it's thickness you will force the baton off the wall regardless of how well it was stuck.
Ideally you need a an sds drill.

As a rule the lintel will only go about 6 inches past the window opening. The simplest answer is to fit a wooden batten wide enough to get a good wall plug fixing at each end with a masonry / hammer drill. You can add a couple of fixings mid way, even if they don’t go in far they will still help to pin it. Put a good squirt of no nails on the back and scratch the plaster to get a good key before finally fixing into place. Paint the batten the same colour as the wall and then fix your rail / pole to that.

Hope it helps,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back