Trying to refurb forklift batteries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old hand held forklift truck at work that looks like it was built in cave times, its a big old thing that lifts 1.5 tonne :D

The acid cell batteries are getting older requiring more charging than usual. Unfortunately replacement batteries for this particular unit was discontined probably around the time Churchill became Prime Minister. Replacements are these new space-age gel type things at almost a grand :eek:

We were going to have one last shot at overhauling the batteries. I'm sure I heard that you can empty the acid out and clean the cells/plates with bicarbonate of soda, top up with fresh acid and its good for another 6 to 12 months.

Is this true and is it worth a shot? :cool:

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I heard that you can empty the acid out and clean the cells/plates with bicarbonate of soda, top up with fresh acid and its good for another 6 to 12 months.
Highly unlikely. Ruined batteries are just that - ruined, only fit for scrap metal merchants.

Unfortunately, batteries for forklifts and other electric vehicles are very expensive, regardless of what type they are.

Even if you did attempt this, how were you going to dispose of the large quantities of corrosive acid and other hazardous waste created during the process? There is also the significant risk of injury from the toxic chemicals contained within, the massive weight of the things, and the dangers or causing a short circuit somewhere.
Then there are the difficulties in disconnecting and reconnecting the individual cells, which probably have crimped terminals or lugs.

No not really. You can try charging with a very low charge for a long time sometimes that does help and when fully charged you can remove acid and wash out with distilled water then refill but getting the acid is not easy and it rarely works for long.

The old hand controlled units did not normally have anything special and a set of 3 x 12 at 160AH batteries my son has got for his boat were around the £200 mark so I think you have selected wrong replacements?

Traction batteries are far more expensive than car batteries and even back in 1992 I remember it was cheaper to re-mould a post on the battery and use one cell less but that mean building my own charger and replacing posts on batteries is not for faint hearted they really do go with a bang when they go.

I would be ringing up Manchester batteries and finding out what they have which you can modify to fit.

I'm sure I heard that you can empty the acid out and clean the cells/plates with bicarbonate of soda, top up with fresh acid and its good for another 6 to 12 months.
Highly unlikely. Ruined batteries are just that - ruined, only fit for scrap metal merchants.

Unfortunately, batteries for forklifts and other electric vehicles are very expensive, regardless of what type they are.

Even if you did attempt this, how were you going to dispose of the large quantities of corrosive acid and other hazardous waste created during the process? There is also the significant risk of injury from the toxic chemicals contained within, the massive weight of the things, and the dangers or causing a short circuit somewhere.
Then there are the difficulties in disconnecting and reconnecting the individual cells, which probably have crimped terminals or lugs.

I see.

Had got the disposal thing planned, i'm lucky enough to be sited next to a Veoila disposal site, who have said I can take it there.

The batteries aren't fcuuked. the thing still works fine, maybe a little slower thats all.

Probably not worth it, thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If these cells are glass and you can see the condition of the plates then a recharge followed by flushing and new acid MAY give them anew lease of life but only safe IF the plates are still in good condition.

Often the frame work of the plates has been eroded and may later break. If there are no insulating separators between plates then a broken plate can result in an internal short and that cell will discharge, often boiling until dry or destroyed. Dangerous and messy possibly with hot sulphuric acid spouting out of the cell.

often boiling until dry or destroyed. Dangerous and messy possibly with hot sulphuric acid spouting out of the cell.

Having seen this a few years ago, acid fountain about 30 feet high, You do not want to be anywhere near it.

110v battery (about 70 1.5 v cells) on a trolley used for starting diesel locomotives with flat batteries in Doncaster locomotive works failed when they pressed the start button. Was outside, doesnt bear thinking about it happening inside a building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back