trying to replace an electrode kit but screws won't come out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you someone could give me some advice.

I was trying to remove 4 screws to replace an electrode kit in a boiler but only managed to get 1 of the screws out as the others are stuck. I tried to use a tiny bit of WD40 to loosen them up but no joy. I don't want to push too hard or will ruin the screw heads too.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Register for the Combustion Chamber if you are a Gas Engineer... and provide some more detailed information.

If you are not a Gas Enigneer then FFS call one before you kill yourself, or someone you care about. :rolleyes:

I wonder if you someone could give me some advice.

I was trying to remove 4 screws to replace an electrode kit in a boiler but only managed to get 1 of the screws out as the others are stuck. I tried to use a tiny bit of WD40 to loosen them up but no joy. I don't want to push too hard or will ruin the screw heads too.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you an idiot?

Sponsored Links
The Gas Register plumber/gas engineer told us that changing an electrode kit in a Baxi 100 HE boiler was something that didn't need a professional intervention as long as the gas and the electricity supply are obviously disconnected.

When the Gas Register plumber came round he noticed that the cable going to the electrode kit was loose and he suggested to replace it but the cable alone cannot be source so he suggested to replace the whole electrode kit and he said we could do it ourselves.

So it is not something that we thought to tackle by ourselves without asking first to a professional as explained above.

Obviously considering the very strong language you are using you disagree with this and obviously I will flag it up to the Gas Register plumber who did the work for us and ask why he thought this work didn't need a professional intervention.

Your Gas Safe registered engineer is a ****** and should be reported.

Better still - tell him to register for the combustion chamber here and see what kind of "welcome" he would get. :rolleyes:

It might be a simple thing to do.... but....

That is in absoloulty no uncertain terms NOT a DIY Job. You DO require someone with the correct knowledge and testing equipment to go any where near the parts your playing with.

Call an engineer that actually has a clue and can show you an upto date gas safe card before begining work.

And what ever you do, turn the power off to the boiler and do not turn it back on again till its been tested.

These boilers have numerous issues and need to be carefully handled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back