TT supply consumer unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recomend somewhere I can get a split load consumer unit for a TT supply? I need a time delayed rcd incommer, 4 mcb ways unprotected and 2 protected by 30ma rcd. I can't seem to find one. I might have to get a standard split board and swap the incommer out for an rcd but the rcds seem v expencive. i was hoping to save a bit of beer money by getting a pre assembled set up. what do you think?

Sponsored Links
there isn't a huge amount of demand for time delay rcds and this does make them a bit pricey and unlikely to be found in a standard board.

might be worth checking out the price for a PME conversion from the REC

tony112 said:
I need a time delayed rcd incommer, 4 mcb ways unprotected and 2 protected by 30ma rcd.
What sort of property do you live in? I think you might need a great deal more MCBs than that...

tony112 said:
Can anyone recomend somewhere I can get a split load consumer unit for a TT supply? I need a time delayed rcd incommer, 4 mcb ways unprotected and 2 protected by 30ma rcd. I can't seem to find one. I might have to get a standard split board and swap the incommer out for an rcd but the rcds seem v expencive. i was hoping to save a bit of beer money by getting a pre assembled set up. what do you think?

if you cant get PME, get a split load board with main incomer feeding 2 RCD's, 30mA for sockets etc and 100mA for lights etc. cheaper than time delay RCD, at at least only 1 RCD will trip, not both which could happen with time delay

Sponsored Links
It looks like I will have to forget the time delay then. What is the norm for a TT supply consumer unit then? Ps what does REC stand for PLUG?

tony112 said:
It looks like I will have to forget the time delay then. What is the norm for a TT supply consumer unit then?
What has your electrician quoted you?

Ps what does REC stand for?
Distribution Network Operator

TT systems seem fairly rare in the uk (they are common in many countryside areas but then countryside areas have far less houses in total)

afaict the time delay rcd as incomer with a 30ma rcd covering all socket is the accepted normal way to do it but there are certainly other ways.

crabtree i belive do kit that lets you have a switch incomer feeding 2 rcds but i have no idea how expensive or easy to get it is

MK do a split board with 100mA t/d rcd as a main switch + 30mA rcd for the split side.

Those in the part p loop will know that a TT system under regs now requires 100ma time delay known as a s type. This replaces the isolator. The rest of the board follows normal regs.
I recent had to fit one on my own premises and now a customers you will find it in the on site guide. There are no alternatives to meet regs.
The funny thing is none of my local (8 different) wholesalers stocked it. One thought I was lying and did not know what I was talking about. The board I bought was a MK board with loaded 12 split with 30ma rcd for around £60. I bough the additional rcd MK6004(Ithink or something like 6440) which I only installed today lists for £99.99 you might be lucky to get trade at around £60
Hope this helps you ALL!!

neil2jo said:
Those in the part p loop will know that a TT system under regs now requires 100ma time delay known as a s type. This replaces the isolator.

care to back up that statement it sounds like bullshit to me

which requirement specifcially can't be met without using a time delay breaker?

check your on site guide (inc editions 2004) brown book, page 21, diagram ii, there YOU will learn electrics and how to install TT systems correctly. For those reading its probably people with attitudes like this which helped the government bring in part p. its a shame because it cost me £200 in my own home to upgrade, but should help me earn more money when the likes of PLUGwash go installing wrong systems.
Keep up the good work PLUG i mean PLUGwash ;)

What is wrong with a 100A Main Switch, feeding two separated groups of breakers, one with a 100MA RCD on them (Lights Freezer etc), and the other with a 30MA RCD on them (Sockets and Shower etc)?

neil2jo said:
check your on site guide (inc editions 2004) brown book, page 21, diagram ii, there YOU will learn electrics and how to install TT systems correctly. For those reading its probably people with attitudes like this which helped the government bring in part p. its a shame because it cost me £200 in my own home to upgrade, but should help me earn more money when the likes of PLUGwash go installing wrong systems.
Keep up the good work PLUG i mean PLUGwash ;)
you did NOT answer the question the OSG is not BS7671 and BS7671 is not part P.

just because the OSG only shows one way of doing something does not mean it is the only way compliant with BS7671.

kai said:
What is wrong with a 100A Main Switch, feeding two separated groups of breakers, one with a 100MA RCD on them (Lights Freezer etc), and the other with a 30MA RCD on them (Sockets and Shower etc)?
Or even a bunch of RCBOs?

divider.gif

plugwash said:
the OSG is not BS7671 and BS7671 is not part P.
And let's not forget "Part P does not require compliance with BS7671"....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back