Tumble Drier Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a weird question for you good people. Can I vent a tumble drier up a chimney??

I'm shortly going to instal a drier in a newly created laundry room on the first floor of my semi, the room is in the middle of the house adjacent it the party wall so the only option for venting is thro' the loft. The shortest route to outside would be up the remains of a chimney which is supported by steelwork after the breasts were removed.

I thought perhaps I could drop a stainless liner down through the pot with an appropriate cowl and connect the vent pipe to this.

Any comments on this idea - I've never known it to be done before.

p.s. The house is to be re-roofed in a couple of weeks so it would be an ideal time to fit the liner.

Sponsored Links
The vapour will condense & liquid will roll back in to your drier ........ Unless you rig up some kind of drain ....... Me I'd route it elsewhere ......... Ya can get rectangular trunking to carry that kinda stuff these days ..... So ya don't HAVE to have a huge elephants trunk hanging from the rafters :D

I thougt about trunking it to the nearest soffit, but it's going to be about a 6 - 7 metre run with 2 bends, not sure if the average drier fan would be happy with such a long pipe - my thinking was that any 'flue effect' of the warm air up the vertical pipe would help the air flow, perhaps a plastic flue liner to help reduce the condensation.

Of course my other concern is fluff collecting in any pipe or trunking.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

Think I'll go for a condensing drier. not so efficient but will save a lot of heartache and grief.

Standard dryer outlet pipe is 3" but with a 4" slue liner it would probably work if you can sort out the condensation problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back