Tundish leaking water, underfloor heating leaking and unexpected gas use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

We have just moved in to our home just over 6 months ago, and still getting head around how an unvented heating system works and coupled with the underfloor heating. Our setup is such that we have radiators upstairs and UFH downstairs. Our setup consists of a Worcester 30 system boiler, a 300L cylinder, 5 zone underfloor heating system and radiators upstairs.

First issue.

I was in the garage the other way and noticed that the tundish was leaking water, I also noticed that during this time the hot water cylinder was working, I put a small plastic to collect some sample of the water and I can tell its cold water. Is this something to be worried about ?

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 21.07.55.jpeg

Second Issue

Our pressure keeps dropping over time and I cannot see any apparent leak other than the white pipes that come off the underfloor heating manifold, usually I get a spanner out tighten it and top up the pressure again to 1.5bar and all is well, it got me thinking surely this cannot be right, and I was wondering whether the connectors to the manifold are the right ones, how can one secure it so its very tight.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 21.07.54.jpeg

Third Issue.

According to our heating schedule, the underfloor heating should only come on from 6:30 - 8:00 and then from 6pm - 10pm, what I do notice however is that outside these time the gas cost keeps increasing, so it got me thinking could it be a leak, the cost stops to rise as soon as I turn off the boiler. Is it normal for gas to be used when the thermostats are not calling for heat ?

Lastly, what is most economical setting for heating/underfloor heating, set the boiler to eco mode, heat at the same time as the cylinder is warming up the hot water ?

Sponsored Links
Your cylinder probably needs a service, and if it's been dripping for a while the pressure relief valves may need replacing.

Manifold leaks could be due to poorly-made connections & damaged o-rings. Replacement connectors are available.

Doesn't sound like you have a gas leak, more likely that something is telling the boiler to fire up. Are you sure you're turning all the programmers off? Underfloor heating, hot water, and radiators?

what I do notice however is that outside these time the gas cost keeps increasing
Does the boiler actually light when that happens? If not, perhaps your display is simply showing a figure representing an apportioned standing charge?

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler actually light when that happens? If not, perhaps your display is simply showing a figure representing an apportioned standing charge?
The boiler is not lit during the period when the figures go up, I did a test today by turning off the boiler for 6 hours and the figures stood still. Usually what happens is that after midnight the figures go up by 30p or so which represents the standing charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back