Tung oil for external window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it ok to use tung oil for external window frames? Any advice on prep - I'm thinking of sanding down, resealing the edges and then oiling or staining. It sounds to good to be true that no other prep is involved!

Many thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
That's about the size of it.

I've just done my frames, which have been neglected over the years. (All my fault). You could use raw linseed instead. I wire brushed and sanded by hand, nothing fancy. Then put on a coat of raw linseed oil and left overnight. As the wood had split in places, I forced brown putty into the cracks, then rubbed off the excess and left it overnight again. The last bit is to wax it, and I got a linseed wax from Holkham estates and gave it a brush coat of wax, then another 2 weeks later.

You'd better get a move on, the weather is getting colder, and the summer is the best time to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back