Turning a log burring stove into a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there
I have acquired a rather old and used small log burning stove that I have just just finished fitting to my van
As apposed to popping a kettle ontop of it I am considering making it a duel use log burning boiler

I know the log burning stove in one of the pubs I drink in is used for heating the central heating system as well as keeping the pub lounge warm.
Because when it has a big fire burning on it and it is glowing hot you can put your hands ontop of the stove and it is luke warm. that would suggest it is putting the bulk of its heat into the water.
It has 2 copper pipes going inside it and as my landlord tell me there is a water jacket inside it

The question is can I buy or build such a jacket that would sit inside my stove?

Thanks

P.S there is no make or modal written on the stove

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure of the challenges installing it in a van, but it would be simpler to coil flexible copper pipe around the base of the flue and use this as a hot water preheater. this might be useful in a home but in a van it might just be easier to put a pot of water on top.

Many stoves come with a back boiler but it is the installation of the rest of the system that is absolutely crucial for everyone's safety!
Expansion of the hot water is the most crucial aspect, plus a method of heat dumping when the generated hot water isn't needed.
Please seek professional advice if you are still considering this!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The copper coil inside the flu of the fire was my first though but
1. Will the copper melt
2. How do you or who can make such a copper coil with so many threads with the right piece of equitment
3. when there is water flowing through the pipe sure it will heat and boil the water but will it be efficient like I said about the one in the pub, toughing your hands on it when it is glowing hot

Will try my best to take a photo of it tomorrow
Thanks

The melting point of copper is around 1000 degrees if I recall and the thermometer on my flue pipe, 10" from the stove top reads around 400 so theoretically it wont burn through, but I'd consider winding the tube around the outside of the flue pipe where the flames don't impinge.
Not wishing to sound patronising but are you aware of the safety issues I hinted on earlier?
John :)

Is this AHC's plan to heat his van after his attempts to fit an in-car heater but modifying the wiring? Doesn't sound much safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back