Turning CH pump off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved into a new house and there doesnt seem to be a switch to turn the central heating off. it looks like the system (from the 1970s) will only make hot water if the boiler is on, which of course heats all the pipes leading to the rads.

the controller only turns the system on and off. no seperate ch and hw controls.

what can i do? install a switch to the central heating pump to turn it off just for summer? i assume turning the pump off is the normal way to turn the ch off but leave the hw on??

thanks.

jim

Sponsored Links
Is there not a room thermostat?? that should controll he pump

also it may not be the pump running thats is causing the rads to heat up gravity may be playing tricks

Systems like the ordinarily have an ANTI GRAVITY valve which is spring loaded, so it opens when the pump kicks in due to the positive pressure it produces and stays closed when it isn't. without one the hotwater from the boiler will creep around the rads.

It sounds to me like its time you thought about upgrading your system to give you full and independent control of your hot water and central heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back