Turning down DHW temp to very low so can have shower......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my sins, my letting agent installed a Heatline Capriz 25 :cry: in the flat. In the last few months I have had to turn down the DHW temperature until it's very low to have a shower, and then turn the DHW up again in order to do the washing up in the kitchen. Apparently this quite normal :confused: ! The boiler has never been serviced, nor is likely to be!

I am really not sure what is going on with the silly thing, any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
fill a bucket, time it, see how many litres per minute of hot water comes out of
- your shower
- your kitchen tap

is the shower head small and clogged with limescale?

What make and model of shower do you have ?

I have no idea. It's a built in rather than a power shower. All the markings have faded off. I have had the ceramic valve replaced and have put a new pipe on the shower head + descaled the head.

The cold feed for the shower comes from a tank in the roof that collects rainwater, or so I am told. I live in a block of flats that were built in the 1930's. There is a galvinised pipe in the corner of the bathroom, that is still 'live'.

Sponsored Links
The cold feed for the shower comes from a tank in the roof
you mean that the hot water comes out of a combi at mains pressure, and the cold water comes out of a tank at low pressure?

that will prevent a shower mixer being able to control the temperature.

if that is the case then your plumbing is amateurish and stupid.

if that is the case then your plumbing is amateurish and stupid.

Ah! I think you hit the nail on the head. The plumber from my letting agent is a complete numpty and it is likely to have been him who installed the system. :rolleyes:

Is there any way to get round this without me having to call the numpty out? :evil:

Thank you, John. This is one of the many things that need to be addressed when renting. I didn't ask for this numpty to be my plumber, nor did I sign a direct contract. It is just implied that I will accept his useless work!

Are you the landlord or the tenant?

Either way the gas installation needs an annual safety check/service/leakage test and the issuing of a Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate. Either get it done or demand one depending upon who you are!

Your flat is illegal without one...and may be dangerous to whoever lives in it.

that is true, but plumbing of cold water to a shower mixer is not a gas matter.

True, I never said it was, but what is also stated is...

...The boiler has never been serviced, nor is likely to be! ...

Yes the cold water plumbing needs attention but so does the gas safety. As a landlord I don't want someone's life on my conscience or as a tenant I want to know that the gas boiler was regularly serviced and safe!

That is why I raised this very important issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back