Turning off immersion tank....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is doing my nut in so I'm hoping someone can help before calling the plumber in:

I need to shut off the hot water pipe in my downstairs toilet but there's no stop valve so how do I shut off my immersion tank so that no hot water reaches the pipe below?

My immersion tank supplies all my hot water, i.e no combo boiler, but I just can't find any kind of stop valve coming from it.

Any ideas? I can supply pics if needs be...

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Is there a gate valve/isolation valve on the supply pipe from the cold water storage tank to the cylinder ?
if not you can bung the supply pipe.

Hiya,

Yeh I think so. there's a valve on a cold pipe from the attic heading straight into the base of the immersion tank with a big red handle...

I'm presuming now that If i turn that off, drain the immersion tank, should be good to go?....

Cheers

Yes turn that off. if poss they are useally jammed solid cause they don't get used.

It won't drain the cylinder it'll just stop water going in so water can't come out.

Run the tap it'll just empty whats in the pipe take a few seconds if the flow don't stop fully when the gate valves closed it's more likley not shutting fully.
They get clogged with scale etc and don't always close fully.

Sponsored Links
Also make sure the immersion heaters are switched off while this valve is closed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back