Turning off water to change kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Novice here.

I have bought a new tap to replace my mum's faulty kitchen tap.

There is a mains tap which I have turned off and this stops the cold water pretty much instantly.

The hot water still runs.

In her hot-press there is a big tank and there is a red valve that looks something like this.... http://static5.depositphotos.com/1001496/475/i/950/depositphotos_4755028-Red-valve.jpg

Would this stop the hot water? I have turned it right as far as I can. How long would it normally take for the hot water to drain?

My mum is paranoid that if I drain the whole system it will damage the radiators of the central heating system... cause some airlock or something.

We don't have the money to get a plumber to do this, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm pretty confident that I can fit the actual tap... just concerned about causing a problem with the central heating or pipes if I don't turn it off/on properly.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I don't understand what a hot press is but I am asuming you have a copper cylinder. If so, there should be a pipe coming from your water storage tank (presumambly in the loft) which joins the bottom of your copper cylinder. If the red valve (gate valve) is on that pipe then this is the one to turn off. When closed it will stop the cold water from the loft entering the hot cylinder and so stop the flow of hot water. When turned off' the water should stop within a minute or two. When the flow of water stops, you will know that it is safe to remove the taps.

Of course the valve might not stop the water if it is seized or gunged up. You would then need to move on to plugging the hole in the tank with a rubber bung.

The hot water is not connected to the central heating

Turn the mains off, open kitchen tap then open cold water tap. Wait until the cold water tap has stopped running then open the hot tap in the kitchen sink, the water will stop flowing within 2 minutes.

You have now drained down your water system ready to fit your new kitchen mixer, remove old tap fit 2 isolations valves and fit new tap.

Keep all taps closed and open incoming cold water mains. The the cold water tank in the loft fill up then open all bathroom taps to remove any air.

Do not use the red gate valve as 9 times out of 10 these will shut closed and never open again. Which will cause even more problems.

Or call a plumber.

The heating system is on its own circuit

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back