Turning on UFH: gradually increase room or water temperature?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is starting to turn cold and I will have to soon have to turn on the UFH. I know that I should do this gradually over a few days, increasing the temperature by 1 (?) degree each day. Is it the room thermostat that I should adjust every day, or the manifold's temperature that I should adjust? In other words, is it the temperature of the room that I should increase gradually, or the temperature of the water flowing through the system?

(I am not sure how to adjust the manifold temperature so, if that's the answer, expect a follow up question. :) )

Sponsored Links
Is it a new screed? That's where the 1 degree a day comes from. Otherwise, the manifold should already be set up so you only need to set the controls for your needs.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
It is not new screed (just its first winter). I'll stick to the room thermostat then. Thank you Dan.

Sponsored Links
If the screed has never been up to its full temperature you should slowly increase the water temperature in the underfloor pipes to avoid cracking the screed. Start at 25degrees and move it up 5 degrees every few days.

If its been up to temp in the past, just turn it on.

• Thanks
I am the homeowner. The screed and UFH was put in a few months ago (aprox March - May) and commissioned by the UFH company about 2 months after that. I did feel the system working and it was left on for a few days, but it was then turned off and hasn't been turned on since. To be honest, I have no idea if they gradually raised the temperature - I just have to assume they followed the right process.

My question just relates to the annual turning on at the start of cold weather.

If you'd rather do the safe thing, set the room temp to something above ambient. Mark where the floor water control is set and then turn it right down to around 25 degrees. Then turn the floor water temperature up gradually over 3-4 weeks (a couple of degrees every few days) until it gets to the original set temperature. Guideline recommended temperature is 45 degrees for a screeded floor with solid covering and 55 degrees for a floating wooden floor i believe.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back