Turning Patio into Play Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a well laid stone patio at the end of the garden but I want to turn it into a play area for the children. I'm guessing the safest way is to take up the patio and lay woodchip etc. but I'm looking for options that might let me keep the patio underneath, put a play area on top and maybe revert back at some point in the future.

Does anyone have any experience, ideas, suggestions etc. for what I can do?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks Richard. Have you any idea how weatherproof and durable they are? Assume I'll have to glue them down?

No idea, my daughter used them inside & stored them at her playgroup venue but they had to be pretty durable with a dozen or so kids jumping up & down on them. I shouldn’t think you will need to glue them down. You need to look a the specs for individual mats to see if they are weather proof, you will need something made from closed cell foam I would think.

Sponsored Links
They're only lightweight they'll blow away if they're not fixed down. Would've thought you need something more durable for outdoors sustained play?

The first link does have some heavy duty ones 0.5m x 0.5m and 25mm thick but they need to be glued down. So it is an option but I don't fancy my chances of rejuvenating the patio if I ever wanted to use it again. I'm going to call the suppliers tomorrow to double check but it looks like I might have to bite the bullet and pull it up. Thanks anyway though. [/quote]

Just in case anyone is interested at some point I called the supplier today and the relevant fall height for good quality play mats on concrete is less than a metre. Which means I need to take the patio up. Thanks for the comments anyway.

Just in case anyone is interested at some point I called the supplier today and the relevant fall height for good quality play mats on concrete is less than a metre. Which means I need to take the patio up. Thanks for the comments anyway.

with respect, what if your child were to fall off their bike onto the pavement? no rubber fall height tolerance there !!! Kids can hurt themselves walking into the door handle into your kitchen.

take your chances, increase their fun factor !!!!

BTW i have three kids who haven't died yet!!!

MatthewW always made sure his children were properly equipped before embarking on the outside world! :LOL:

bubblewrap.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back