tv £ per inch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about 2 yrs ago i got a 32" widescreen tv which is o.k. but wanted something a bit bigger now.so pops down currys/comet and have a gander at the 40" lcd/plasma screens.about £1500 for a good un.can't justify £1500 just for an extra 8" even though they are flat screens.thought about a widescreen lcd projector and the price has dropped from £1000 to £880 to now were it is only £377 :eek: so that works out at £21.87 for my £700 32" against £3.14 for the 120".sounds too good to be true.read all the reviews in the home cinema mags etc where it got ratings of 4-5 stars out of 5.i did'nt want it mounted on the ceiling with all the wires that would need attaching etc.
as its got a very short throw lens,only 2.5m away to project a 120" image i just place it on a coffee table and plug a scart from the sky box in and a component for progressive scan from the dvd player.i was'nt expecting a mega quality image but i was pleasently surprised with the picture quality.the only downside is the chicken wire effect (very small grid like lines on the screen)but this can be sorted by slightlysetting the focus to soft as to merge the pixels and looks good from about 10' foot back.the next problem was the screen.i did'nt want a pull up screen in a bulky box that sat on the floor ,but i also did'nt want to pay £100+ for a screen that was bolted to the ceiling.saw a blackout white roller blind for £40.00 at b & q and put a length of 15mm copper pipe to pull the screen tight at the bottom edge.i attached the blind to a length of 2"x2" timber which i painted white then put 2 screw hooks on it.the hooks in the cieling were made for hanging light pendants/chandaliers and came with those spring loaded plasterboard fixings and are only about an inch big.when the screen is taken down you'll be hard pushed to notice them.so when i want to watch a film etc it only takes a bout 5 mins to set up and the picture is no worse or better than the 32" telly.it even accepts a signal from a laptop (adam w).saw kylie on mtv the other night,30" boobies :rolleyes: the projector noise is only 28db but with the sound on you hardly notice it.just hope that baywatch is on tonight ;)

Sponsored Links
Wait until you have to get a new bulb for the projector, really makes a dent in the wallet. Some can be as much as £250 :eek:

Glad you mentioned the fan noise. That is what has always stopped me from buying a projector. I borrowed one from work a few years ago, watched some Star Wars laserdiscs on it. The picture was great, but the noise of the fan was intrusive in quiet bits.

The newer ones are a lot quieter, but 28dBA is still too loud for me: I have a 25dBA hard-drive and the noise of that bothers me. I have used small projectors at work that are "whisper quiet", but if people whispering in the cinema can be a bother then a whisper isn't quiet enough! :LOL:

You'll be glad to know that many plasmas have fans in them, I saw one with 3 or 4 fans in it in Dixons! So, your projector is probably considerably quieter than those plasmas you looked at.

Of course, with a 1000W bulb in them (well, maybe not that much!) projectors will produce a lot of heat... wonder if I could just stick a great big heatsink onto one? ;) Or perhaps stick an energy-saving bulb in it to reduce the heat?

I wish I could live with a 28dB fan noise, but I get far too annoyed by any little sound... the whine of the capacitors in my phone charger drives me to distraction... and don't get me started on the sound of the baseband oscillators in my ADSL router!

I suppose if I got one I could just turn up the sound, but I have a nutter of a neighbour who comes round and shouts at anyone if they make more than a whisper of a noise (went psycho at my new neighbour for doing DIY at 9am on a weekday morning :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
OMYGod chuck the gnikcuf thing on the tip and cast aside this nonsense !! It would be great if there was much worth watching ... 28" = small parc 60" = much larger parc pay more for even less ... Get in that Drakenbuilt and give it the max rpm I know you'll love it !! ;)

That smoked you out !! Manners be dekcuf .. precious little hereabouts ;)

AdamW said:
the whine of the capacitors in my phone charger drives me to distraction
so im not the only one who can hear this then! thought i was going mad when nobody else in my house could hear it! They must be deaf.

Power consumption: projectors are far more efficient than plasmas. our 42" plasma consumes 320w, a projector consumes maybe 150w?

Apparently plasmas take a lot of juice compared to TFT screens too, this is why they get quite hot.

When LCD TVs first came out I thought the picture quality was rubbish compared to plasmas, all smeary and dull. But now the good ones seem to be just as good as the best plasmas now (just look at some of the HD ones in your local superstore). The plasmas seem to be slightly cheaper, but there is a big overlap in price.

Because of all of the above, plus the issue of channel logos causing screenburn on plasmas (I hate those ruddy logos!), many are of the belief that LCD displays will eventually take over from plasmas as the screen of choice.

The only problem I have with TFTs now is that the backlighting is not entirely uniform. You don't notice it when there is a picture on the screen, but if it is just set to black, you can see it is slightly brighter in some places than others.

Sponsored Links
Back