TV Extension cable....ok to run outside house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, this may seem odd, but....

I want to put a tv on my bedroom wall and hide the cabling, I dont mind chasing out about 1-2ft for ariel and power to go up into the loft, but dont want to chase the entire wall right down to a power socket. I also dont want to be lifting carpets or floor boards.

So I was wandering, would I be able to run some pvc flexible 3 core (HO7 cable) from a plug socket opposite the tv, outside the house (below window) then into up into the loft to provide power for the tv?

I want to do this without making too much mess / plastering etc. And the above is the only way I can think of.....

Comments appreciated......

Cheers
Demetri

Sponsored Links
It's likely at some point you will have chase out if you want the cable hidden,
no matter which route you take.
Providing you use the correct cable and mechanical protection, you could have it routed on the outside wall.
But easiest way would be, if you don't want the floorboards up, which would mean more chasing out, is to take a Spur from another socket in that room or close by.
Material cost of installing outside house would be far more than just installing a spur.
I'd advice against any idea of actual making and extension lead with a plug and socket at either end, if that is what you are asking.

thanks for the reply.

However when I say outside, its not like I'm going to need to use armoured cable and bury it.

So chase up the wall from the tv for ariel and power, leave tv plug in loft. Make an extension cable with plug socket at one end for the TV power cable in loft, feed out of loft, down side of house into my bedroom, attach plug and use existing power socket.

HO7 cable is charged at 95p ish per meter, I need 10 meters iand thats being generous, I have clips, so its a £10-£15 job. All I want to know is whether its ok do to this, i.e. safe. I want to avoid chasing the walls right down to plug socket level - there is an existing power socket right below where the tv would go, but I don't want to see unsightly cables. Don't mind doing a very small amount of chasing from the TV to the ceiling.....

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

I added to my post just before you're reply,
I advice against doing this, extension leads are not to be used as a permanent option.

Sponsored Links
Can you not do it properly and drill out from behind the TV to outside? No chasing then.

Then place a socket behind the TV, fed with 2.5mm T+E from another socket. Cable in conduit outside.

Is there no where else to pick up some lecky via the loft? Down inside a wardrobe or airing cupboard to a socket or inside a stud wall?

I don't like your idea TBH.

Also, as a sanity check, does the upstairs sockets ring final actually go up into the loft? In many houses it doesn't.

Also, as a sanity check, does the upstairs sockets ring final actually go up into the loft? In many houses it doesn't.
It sounds like Demetri is planning to run an extension lead from downstairs up the side of the house then back in to the loft.
Not route a cable or take a spur but a plug at one end and a socket at the other. :eek:

Co-AxSocket.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back