TV picture freezes & sound distorts

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that the colour of the coax cable is an issue. Is new coax cable a different colour?
Cheap low quality coax is usually brown or white. CT100 or similar satellite grade coax is usually black. Color isn't an absolute indicator of cable type but it's often a good guide.

You can use the cheap coax for digital terrestrial (and if it's a short run probablly even digital satellite) but it's higher loss and more importantly it is more prone to picking up interference.

I'm not sure that the colour of the coax cable is an issue. Is new coax cable a different colour?
Cheap low quality coax is usually brown or white. CT100 or similar satellite grade coax is usually black. Color isn't an absolute indicator of cable type but it's often a good guide.

You can use the cheap coax for digital terrestrial (and if it's a short run probablly even digital satellite) but it's higher loss and more importantly it is more prone to picking up interference.

So my friend that worked in the factory producing this cable is wrong? or do you have evidence? The colour of the cable has no resonance of the quality of the cable inside?

The colour of the cable has no resonance of the quality of the cable inside?
It's true in the sense that most types of coax seem to come in black by default. The types of coax on the market range from well below TV coax (e.g. the stuff used for CCTV) to well above it.

Old fashioned TV coax was the exception coming in brown by default with white as a common option for interior surface stuff. I'm sure other colors existed but brown and white was what the DIY sheds sold and what was usually seen in practice.

Sponsored Links
It's true in the sense that most types of coax seem to come in black by default. The types of coax on the market range from well below TV coax (e.g. the stuff used for CCTV) to well above it.

Old fashioned TV coax was the exception coming in brown by default with white as a common option for interior surface stuff. I'm sure other colors existed but brown and white was what the DIY sheds sold and what was usually seen in practice.

In your mind. DIY sheds? explain? Just explain that what you wrote is wrong.

Funnily enough, Sky spent many a year installing white CT100.

God help me, I'm agreeing with Micky.

Just meant if he had Brown coax coming from his aerial, thats been there for 20 years, it might be the easiest fix.

[I'm going for a loft aerial. Not ideal I know but it's lack of pennies.

What type should I go for? Ideas would be welome[/quote]

I bought a Tri-fold 43EL aeial & new brown coax from Maplin. I mounted it the loft and connected into the existing amplifier. Now my daughter can get most digital channels.

I know idealy aerials should have line-of-sight to the transmitter but this shows it is not necessary. And in any case how roof mounted aerials have line-of-sight to the transmitter?

Hi Mickymoody. I bypassed the amp last night and picture no different. Also I did a continuity check on cable up to the aerial, centre core back to the shielding. On the 200M (presumably milliamps) range, I got a reading of 12. I would expect zero. Suggests damp in aerial connector box?

I'm going for a loft aerial. Not ideal I know but it's lack of pennies.

What type should I go for? Ideas would be welome

I bought an aerial from Maplin a few months ago. Installed it in the loft and now she can get most digital channels. So the problem was with the aerial or coax. Probably damp.

Coaxial cable will deteriorate outdoors. Best to keep it away from sunlight and rain and protect it with paint.

Out of interest, WF100 cable is available in 6 colours. (Obviously that doesn't matter if you paint it!)

Article about coaxial cable quality:
http://www.glodark.com/cable.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back