TV wall mount query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to mount my new 29" smart tv to the wall.

The vesta fitting is 100mm x 100mm and it weighs 5kgs.

I've seen a low profile mount that fits the vesta requirements of 100 x 100 and can take up to 10 kgs but it says it's for screens up to 22"

Is there any real problem with going with this or given it will fit and can take the weight or should I pay the 30% extra for the one listed as being for up to 32" screens?

Also I should say that this will be mounted to plasterboard walls. Will I need to make any other considerations or will the normal heavy duty stud wall fixings be ok for this?

Sponsored Links
I think you should buy one which doesn't say 'vesta'..

There are a number of websites selling identical brackets at different prices according to screen size. They are all ripoff merchants. If it can handle the weight and will physically fit the display, it'll be fine.

Ilm not very up on tvs but the hanging it on a plasterborad wall sounds a bit of a concern.
mainly the strength of the wall to hold such a weight by the screws.

If you can locate the vertical drywall studs (assuming plasterboard wall is not dot and dab technique), using a stud detector - or carefully drill small pilot holes to locate studs - then screw directly into them (pilot holing approach not advisable because there could be 240v cable runs in the stud walling partition cavities). There are TV brackets out there whose wall plate bracket is designed to straddle two studs for this reason. Eg just bought one for similar installation:Brateck LPA36 - 55", <50kg loading. Agree, plasterboard itself is not structural and hanging a TV directly on this constitutes a risk.
Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Agree, plasterboard itself is not structural and hanging a TV directly on this constitutes a risk.
Hope this helps.

Having installed AV equipment for years including video walls / VC equipment / Digital Signage etc I have never had any issues with Plasterboard with the correct fixings. I've done multiple screens of up to 15/16 screens purely on plasterboard. Totally agree that for a safety issue finding the stud is preferable (even if you can get one stud fixing in) but even so, unless there's someone hanging off the screen it's pretty bomb proof. Most commercial installs have been twin walled board, but many have been on single. If your not sure, then alternative way is to use an MDF pad behind the mount that's stretching two studs.

Best fixing which I swear by are Snaptoggles. hard to find, but once you've used them you'll never go back to anything else.

That eBay advert doesn't mention that you need more than 2 inches air space so the fixing is no good for dry-lined walls or plasterboard walls with a small air gap.

Hi
Just looked at the product on E Bay. These anchor fixings are new to me. They seem pretty robust and ideal for AV wall mounting / shelving applications (perhaps subject to the the provisos of the last post). In view of this I am more than tempted to trial this technique - particularly given the number of installations you have carried out using them (far more than me!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back