TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
General advice on telly please, Been overseas few years and now home, I know things have moved on, my home has a rusted satellite on the wall not working and two aerials facing different directions, the tv signal cuts out in wet weather. So my question is what is the best system/ value for money not interested in paying to watch so should I get a digital aerial or satellite or both or some sort of super new TV.

Sponsored Links
"Freeview" with an ordinary aerial is free and has (IMO) more channels than you will ever need.

You may need a new aerial and new co-ax, but (in my house at least) it works even if installed in a loft, which is much easier to fit and adjust (I used a compass and then tested it using the TV to see signal strength).

There is an informative website I was given here, they help you choose the aerial you need and sell aerials, co-ax and connectors etc. I will add the URL when I find it.

Freeview via a new TV aerial is the cheapest option. Every new TV is equipped to receive it so there's no additional hardware expense; it is relatively easy to add additional points for more TVs, and there's no monthly subscription costs as you have with Sky or Virgin Media cable.

If you want to record stuff while you're out then it's a simple job to add a Freview hard drive recorder.

Any other conventional non-subscriptuon TV service such as Freesat is going to be more complex to scale up and involve higher set-up costs in terms of either Freesat equipped TVs or Freesat receiver/recorder boxes.

Sponsored Links
might be worth future proofing by going for a network enabled smart tv, as most tv can be accessed on-demand now

General advice on telly please, Been overseas few years and now home, I know things have moved on, my home has a rusted satellite on the wall not working and two aerials facing different directions, the tv signal cuts out in wet weather. So my question is what is the best system/ value for money not interested in paying to watch so should I get a digital aerial or satellite or both or some sort of super new TV.

1. Satellites are 23,000 miles above the equator not rusting on walls.

2. There is no such thing as a digital aerial.

A new TV will not sort out the signal cutting out. I suggest you call in an expert who knows the local area. Two aerials may suggest you are in a poor reception area, or it maybe a prievous owner wanted two ITV regions.
Freesat is designed for people in poor reception areas though other people use it as there are more channels than Freeview. One snag is that you need a separate Freesat box for each TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back