Twin & Earth in a concrete wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
LondonChap, the comments you are getting are because there's plenty of previous here for people who come along and act in the same way. Variations of the "I ... err my friend was thinking of ...".

The advice you've been given is correct, you (sorry, your friend) would do well to heed it. Actually you've had quite an easy time, some of the regulars seem to have missed this thread.

The work your friend is proposing is notifiable to your Local Authority Building Control, and it will cost your friend several hundred quid to go down that route. That's the law, not some advice from work protecting trade bodies. your friend may not like that, and he'd not be alone, but that is the law.
Alternatively, you can have it done by a member of an approved registration scheme who can notify through their scheme for a few quid - trust me, the difference in notification costs can be enough to pay for the work (though perhaps not in this case).

When your friend comes to sell the house, the buyers solicitor will ask for a form where you have to declare any electrical work done since 2005. If your friend admits to the unregistered work then the buyers solicitor will start being difficult (they love to be able to tick boxes). If your friend ticks the no box then that is fraud - making a false statement when selling a property worth (I'd guess) several hundred grand.

If non of that worries your friend, then it should at least be done safely. People have tried to explain to your friend that some of the ideas put forward just are not safe. If your friend chooses to ignore that, then he is putting him(her)self and others in danger.

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen: the wall has just been built and is 12 to 16" thick, filled with rebar which is driven into clay beneath the foundations. A cable chase will not weaken this structure at all.
Are you sure of that. Vibration from cutting tools has to be considered when dealing with new concrete. If the person who built the wall has the same attitude to "doing the job properly" as your friend has to electrical work then I fear for the future of the wall. Re-bar driven into clay below the foundations. Did the building inspectors pass that as acceptable ?

Sensible replies only please.

You didn't read did you!! Now run along.
OK - let's try and make it clear enough so that even someone as stupid as you can understand it.

You are a ******* idiot.

You don't have a clue about designing electrical installations, and you keep on proposing stupid and dangerous things even though you keep being told that they are stupid and dangerous.

You don't have a clue about designing RC retaining walls but you think it will be OK to modify one.

You refuse to consider the safety and legal ramifications of the work you think you can just go ahead and do, and have been disingenuous about your relationship to it.

You ask for sensible replies, and when you get them you contemptuously reject them because they don't agree with your harebrained ideas.

**** off, OK?

Sponsored Links
LondonChap, the comments you are getting are because there's plenty of previous here for people who come along and act in the same way. Variations of the "I ... err my friend was thinking of ...".

He is my friend and it is not for me. I am more technical than him. We want to know what it entails before going further. I do not need lectures on Part P, or self-appointed policemen talking down to me. I know external stuff has to be Part P.

bernardgreen: the wall has just been built and is 12 to 16" thick, filled with rebar which is driven into clay beneath the foundations. A cable chase will not weaken this structure at all.
Are you sure of that. Vibration from cutting tools has to be considered when dealing with new concrete. If the person who built the wall has the same attitude to "doing the job properly" as your friend has to electrical work then I fear for the future of the wall. Re-bar driven into clay below the foundations. Did the building inspectors pass that as acceptable ?

I saw the wall being erected 6 weeks ago and it is substantial. Just in time for the heaviest rain on record which may have caused a land movement and cracks. Maybe some luck there for the neighbours uphill. He is thinking of wall lighting as an after thought. I did suggest incorporating conduit in the wall for lights, but he said he wanted other types of exterior lights. Now the wall is there wall lights make most sense. Some people can't visualize ahead.

He is my friend
Some friend you are turning out to be, proposing dodgy electrical designs.

I am more technical than him.
You're probably more technical than a red setter too, but that doesn't make you technical enough.

We want to know what it entails before going further.
It entails you both coming to your senses and getting an electrician who can do pyro work.

I do not need lectures on Part P,
You need lectures on all kinds of things, as you are ignorant of them.

I know external stuff has to be Part P.
So why are you proposing to contravene Part P?

I saw the wall being erected 6 weeks ago and it is substantial.
Oh well, I'm sure we all bow to your superior structural engineering knowledge.

Did you design the wall?

rebar which is driven into clay beneath the foundations.
You did, didn't you? It has your hallmark...

F**k off yourself know-it-all. You have offered sweet FA to this thread because you know nothing.
Actually I know a great deal, and that assertion of yours does absolutely nothing except provide even more evidence that you have no interest in any advice, all you want is for someone here to agree with you about the decisions you've already made.

Which is never going to happen, so you can stop wasting your time trying.

The advice you've been given is correct, you (sorry, your friend) would do well to heed it. Actually you've had quite an easy time, some of the regulars seem to have missed this thread.

You said this on another thread:

Two posts from DeltaT2, both of them offering nothing useful, both criticising the offering of information intended to allow the OP to decide for himself what may or may not work - or at least be able to quiz those you are trying to sell him one thing or another and find out if they actually know anything, or are just being like certain plumbers here who will slag off anything they don't understand while pretending that the reasons is anything but lack of knowledge.

The last one made sense. Yet on this thread you contradict yourself.

It is clear this ban-all-sheds idiot is out to wreck a thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back