Twin no earth in my lighting circuit

yes you can still fit an RCBO. As it will still detect a human touching live (e.g when changing a bulb) and trip.

Sponsored Links
2. Also re the RCD having read the regs still not clear why an RCD would be needed if installed in a safe zone.

What regs are you reading? Think of it like this:

Outside a safe zone - cable must either be burried greater than 50mm or, if less than 50mm, must be be protected by one of the specified forms of mechanical protection.

Inside a safezone - the same is essentially true, but you have the additional option of having a cable burried less than 50mm having RCD protection instead of one of the specified forms of mechanical protection.

Thanks I was reading the or statements as optional if the wire was in the safe zone.

Regarding my split board then would it be best to use the rcbo instead of wiring it on rcd side with my socket circuits.

Also if I run twin and earth in the circuit at any point what should I do with the CPC? cut it back so it does not give the impression there is an earth on that circuit>

Sponsored Links
Why is it such a problem getting a new cable back to the consumer unit?

How does the old cable get there?

Wiring of that age would often be in a conduit or a brick cavity...

Is this a bungalow?

Why is it such a problem getting a new cable back to the consumer unit?

How does the old cable get there?

Wiring of that age would often be in a conduit or a brick cavity...

Is this a bungalow?

The property is a house and has a finished downstairs, the job I started was a simple decorate and warddrobe instal. After a query re lightiing, on investigation in the loft the main feed from to the CU seems to run down the cavity and under a load of boards I was not intending to lift.

I am concerned that if I start trying to pull the new cable through and fail this job could spiral out of scope. I have lost my bottle I know

I am liking the idea of choccy blocking the earths on any new cable runs I make in the upstairs circuit and fitting an RCBO. And at a later date maybe revisit the project for some T&E to go back to the CU at a more convienant time.

Thanks all for the prompt and informative posts, they have been a great help.

Keen to do a good job in most practical way..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back