no earth to kitchen light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just removed the downstairs kitchen light (metal 4 spot thing) and realised there is no earth connection. i appreciate this is potentially dangerous. also there is no earth connection to the switch (plastic)
can i steal an earth from another cable (upstairs lighting circuit runs near the fitting)and connect that way?
i cant remove the cabling as i've just fitted the new kitchen units
but i can get to the cable above through the bathroom floor.
this is the only light in the house that has no earth. (twin cable)
all the rest is 1.5mm T and E

Sponsored Links
bodjit and c said:
i've just removed the downstairs kitchen light (metal 4 spot thing) and realised there is no earth connection. i appreciate this is potentially dangerous.
Does the light need an earth connection? Just because it's metal that doesn't mean it needs earthing.

also there is no earth connection to the switch (plastic)
Not ideal, but not a serious problem until you want a metal switch. What you could do right now would be to replace the exiting faceplate screws with nylon ones.

can i steal an earth from another cable (upstairs lighting circuit runs near the fitting)and connect that way?
Better than no earth if one is needed...

i cant remove the cabling as i've just fitted the new kitchen units
but i can get to the cable above through the bathroom floor.
this is the only light in the house that has no earth. (twin cable)
all the rest is 1.5mm T and E
If you can get access under the floor, can't you work back to the previous point on the lighting circuit and reinstate the earth from there?

How do kitchen units affect removing cables in the floor/ceiling void?

What about replacing the switch cable, or adding a separate earth to it?

How do kitchen units affect removing cables in the floor/ceiling void?
i meant replace the switch cable as its in the wall behind the units

Does the light need an earth connection? Just because it's metal that doesn't mean it needs earthing.
the light says ' this unit MUST be earthed'

so i can just connect a new 'sleeved' earth cable from the junction box to the light fitting? even if its a different circuit? i suppose it all goes to the same place eventually.

Sponsored Links
Its not ideal to 'borrow' an earth in this way, but it is definitely better than not bothering, and relying on no-one touching it.
Best to make it obvious what was done, or to leave a diagram in an envelope by the consumer unit, so if the other circuit is ever changed, there is no risk of accidental disconnection. If you can, try and get the earth from the right circuit - it reduces this risk.
Some times it is possible to pull a new cable in behind the old one, if one carefully forms a joint that doesn't bulge. However, if there is any risk of it getting stuck, this is not worth trying until you are next re-decorating, and dont ming hacking things about if this happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back