Two dishwasher problems - any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would be really grateful for any advice on these two dishwasher problems that I have encountered over Christmas: -

1. My Bosch Dishwasher (about 4 years old) appears to work normally, the cycle obviously completes successfully and everything has obviously been leaned well. But on close inspection on some mugs and nearly all tall glasses, a grainy deposit has been left on the inside at the top - this looks like a silty/sandy grainy deposit that dries hard and is very difficult to shift afterwards. I have cleaned the dishwaher with one of those cleaning capsules that you can get for about £3, but this does not seem to have helped. Do you think there could be a problem with the waste pipe feeding dirty water back into the dishwasher?

2. My parents-in-law's Hotpoint dishwasher (also about 4 years old) also suddenly developed a problem. The machine suddenly stopped filling with water. You can hear a low rumbling sound, which I assume is the pump tryin to pull water in, but to no avail. I checked the water supply and it is fine. I changed the supply hose, just in case there was a kink in it. This appeared to fix it. So I put the dishwaher back into position against the wall and tried again. It seemd to start fine and I could hear water coming back in, but about half way through the cycle it seemed to have problems again an reverted back to square one. I checked and re-checked all water connections and they seem fine.

I would be most grateful for any advice/help on either of these problems!

Kind regards

Jon

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the reply Minton.

On my machine, the Bosch, I do try to keep the salt reservoir topped up - the low salt warning light does occassionally come on, but when that happens, I fill it up immediately.

As for my parents-in-law's Hotpoint, I believe they use those tablets that have the rinse aid and salt built in as part of the tablet (3 in 1 tablets). I am not sure if, in addition, they are also filling up the salt reservoir - I will check with them. Should they be doing this or is it not necessary when you use that type of tablet?

Really appreciate the help.

Jon

Just checked with the parents-in-law. They do indeed keep the salt and rinse-aid topped up regularly.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Try adjusting the input on the rinse aid on yours.

On your parents, check to see if there is water in the base. Dishwashers have a float switch that operates if the base fills with water. This will switch on the pump and stop water coming in. I'm thinking the noise you can hear might be the pump operating.

Obviously a bit tricky diagnosing from here!

Many thanks for your help Minton.

I will certainly try out your suggestions.

Kind regards

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back