Two new front tyres...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...just wonder now if I should put the new ones on the rear and move the slightly worn rear ones to front?
Or just replace the two worn out front ones with new rubber on the front?
If I changed them all around I think I would be in for a bigger bill from balancing all 4 again etc. (small 5 door hatchback)
S

Sponsored Links
The latest advice on tyres is that the ones with the most grip should always be fitted to the rear.

Sponsored Links
If the rears are 'slightly' worn , leave them on the back.
Front tyres (in theory) should wear more than the rears, and as said above, front tyres point you in the right direction...... rear ones just follow the fronts!

More tread on the backs. Especially if you corner hard, a bit less chance of the rear overtaking you :LOL:

It has a lot to do with which wheels are doing the driving
Not according to the experts in the links.

All done. In the event I didnt have a choice. The 2 front ones needed changing and the Costco fitters insisted, for safety, that they go on the rear with the rears being put on the front. All 4 were re-balanced and all done in 30 mins. Now just have to take to K. Fit for the tracking (£28).

I am actually pleased as the links were conclusive in that this was correct procedure for max safety. Thanks to all once again, esp Stivino.

if the car is front wheel drive id always have new set on front as said the back just follows the front and usually its the front tyres that stop the car as most of the weight of engine is at the front in most cars

If the back wheels on a FWD car seem to do little except stop the back end dragging along the ground, it is possible that the rear tyres would rot away before they wear out. At least swapping them round means you should get your money's worth out of them.

EDIT 13/11/07 Just been given the verdict on my own FWD car's MOT. At 8 years / 50,000 miles old, the second set of front tyres are near the limit. There's plenty of meat on the original rear tyres, but the sidewalls are beginning to crack.

So it looks like I will have to replace all four now :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back