Two Pump or not Two Pump? That is the question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched my CH slowly degrade over the past months until I finally blocked it up completely with all my draining and flushing. Thanks to tips on this site I finally got some normality back - but it's not perfect.

It's a vented system. Did have a Myson Unit 3 pump which I replaced with a seemingly unused Grundfos 15/50 that has been in a box since we moved in 15years ago. It didn't solve the problems (but a weekend of flushing and additional venting did make a huge improvment).

I'm not convinced it's back to normal though and maybe the pump is not good enough (due age, storage and the fact I accidently ran it dry for 15-30 minutes) so will replace it with a Wilo Smart Pump. Note the pumping is into the system (i.e downwards) with an Aerjec just above.

My question is. If I still feel that there is not enough "oomph" in the system will fitting two pumps improve the flow? I was thinking of putting the spare one in the feed between the boiler output and the aerjec input.

I have flushed out enough gunge to halve OPEC oil prices so reckon the system is clean.

Sponsored Links
Never fit two pumps !

Either there is still dirt in your system or a pipework problem.

We always read these bold statement that " I have flushed my system"!

That is even questionable when it comes from a so called professional. Coming from a DIYer it really has no meaning!

I could ask what chemicals and power flushing pump did you use and where did you study the techniques for power flushing?

Tony

Quick response. Thanks.

** I get the message - never fit 2 pumps! **

Don't think I said "power" flush. I've had some radiators (ones that just would not get warm) off and cleaned through with a garden hose.
Then I used mains water around the circuit, one radiator at a time, (connecting at the furthest and lowest radiator ports) repeated 2-3 times over a 2½ hour period.

System has greatly improved ... lovely hot water in (over 15 years old) cylinder after 20 mins and any individual radiator (some new-ish, some old) will now get too hot to touch.

Just about to start introducing more than one rad. at a time and that's where I'm expecting the same old trouble of not enough flow to keep them all going. Might be residual gunge or duff pump (or aerjec maybe?)

BTW: I'm offering shares in sludge if anyones got a use for it!

Even Fernox claim you can remove "up to 80%" !

Systems up to about 16-20kW are ok on a 15-50, IF it's working properly.
You determine whether it's doing its job by checking boiler temps and duty cycle.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your problem may be balancing then.

Close all lockshield valves and then open each just ONE turn as a starting point.

Then tell us what the result is.

When its stabilised the return should be noticeably cooler than the flow. Ideally about 11°C if you can measure it.

The Grunfoss pump should be fine on setting 2. There is no point in changing it for a Wilo ( sorry Dave ).

Tony

Ok Hi Agile (if you're still watching!)..
In terms of estimated order of path length from the boiler (1 is nearest):

-----------------------------
Upstairs
1) Nice and hot
2) Cold
3) Fairly hot
4) fairly hot
-----------------------------
Downstairs
5) Just about warm
6) Cold
7) Cold
8) Cold

All TRVs at max
Boiler thermostat at max

Boiler cycle approx 4 mins on 12 mins off

Mild evening (5-6PM today)

Thanks in anticipation

.... and can I get a rad thermometer anywhere ..... not in Chelmsford on a Monday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back