Two Radiators not heating (backwards connections?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Upstairs we have 3 radiators and a bathroom towel rack. The radiator and town rack on one side of the house work fine. The other two radiators do not.
On another job we've had a plumber mention that those two radiators probably have blocked pipes and will require floors up and troubleshooting/etc.

Trying to get some answers myself, I've closed off the flow and return pipes on one of these upstairs radiators and removed it to be flushed outside. I've then opened each pipe separately while unattached and the flow pipe does indeed provide hot water. When opening the return pipe (or what I think is the return), I also get water which eventually gets warm.

My question is, is it normal that water comes out of the return when it's opened? My assumption is yes because of the residual pressure but I'm starting to wonder if our previous DIY Homeowner made some changes and perhaps put two flow pipes into one room and two return pipes in the other.

When outside flushing it, water definitely flowed through so it's not blocked. I'm going to check the 2nd cold radiator the same as I've checked the 1st to see if it gets any hot water anyway, but I'd like to see if there are any thoughts on why each pipe seems to have flow through it when individually opened, but does not when the radiator is attached and filled? Could these be mixed up, or perhaps could the return have a one way valve somewhere on it? Are these reasonable possibilities?

Sponsored Links
Draw out your system completely.
You might be surprised what you have (or don't!)

Ah yeah suppose that would be a good start! Will try.

Another though I just had, perhaps the blockage is after the two returns join up so the water coming out of the return was really being forced back from the return of the other rad..

Are the radiators and towel rail that are working on the DHW circuit by any chance. Quite common in some older systems.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back