Two switches permanently on for unvented direct hot water cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a flat that has a Santon Premier Plus PP210E direct unvented cylinder.

I am trying to improve my electricity use and noticed that there were two switches (I think fused spurs?) for the hot water tank - neither are on a timer and both are permanently on. Is this usual recommended practice? Water usage is low (solo occupant, morning shower, occasional dishwasher or washing machine cycle, etc.).

Previous posts mentioned Economy 7 supplies but I only have a single rate meter and there are no timers anywhere.

The other potential issue is the Atlantic Electric panel heaters where they seem to be forgetting the programming but I'll do a different post about that!

Photos as below:

Sponsored Links
You could turn the bottom immersion heater off and see whether just having the top one on gives you enough hot water. Won't make a massive difference as the cylinder is very well insulated but every little helps. Your heating will be a large part of your electricity usage I expect

Sponsored Links
You could turn the bottom immersion heater off and see whether just having the top one on gives you enough hot water. Won't make a massive difference as the cylinder is very well insulated but every little helps. Your heating will be a large part of your electricity usage I expect
Yes I'm suspicious a couple of heaters have been stuck in daytime 'on' mode for a while now which has been contributing.

Wow, that's quite a lash-up
LOL yeah the quality of building work was 'interesting' (had a few NHBC claims), hence why I was a bit unsure if they'd done the right thing when it came to no timers, etc. :)

I was a bit unsure if they'd done the right thing when it came to no timers, etc.
It's usual for the bottom element to be on overnight on cheap rate, and the top one to only be used in the day if extra hot water is required. Dual rate meter and either 2 consumer units or a split type with day/off peak sections.

In your installation it's a single rate meter and single consumer unit, probably done because it was cheaper to install that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back