two way into one way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room with a light controlled by two switches - one by each door. I want to take out one swithch and turn the other into a one way switch. each switch has a red into each L1 and L2 and a black into common. How do I do it please?

Sponsored Links
not entirely sure that's right.... should be red and black into L1 and L2 respectively, with a single red into COM on both...

unless they are using singles or a twin red and a single black at each.. but why would they do that?

anyway.. the way it's wired you cannot "take out" a switch,
you can remove the switch and connect the COM and L1 of one switch in a terminal block, with the spare cable in a seperate connector block, and then blank off the switch, but the cables and box must remain..

unless you pull the cables back up / down into the ceiling / floor where you can connect them in a junction box as described, but this must remain accessible ( ie not under a laminate / tiled floor and with an access hatch over it )

OK can do that, but then want to wire-up remaining switch in a new single gang. Which of the three wires do I leave off?

Sponsored Links
whichever one you didn't connect into the conector block...

( it's 2 reds, how am I supposed to define a difference between them? )

get a multimeter ( available for about £15 from the DIY sheds ), read the instructions for it, then continuity check from end to end...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back