Replacing old 2 gang switch with new 2 gang dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New switch has common plus L1 & L2 on each switch. Old (non dimmer) has red on common and black on 2 on one light. Other switch has red on 2 with black on 3 and common connected to other common. Note this is just a one way switch with each switch controlling one light. How do I connect up this old wiring to new switch?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, be aware of the split of the terminals on the old switch, and which terminals are for which switch, it can sometimes look confusing and catches many DIYers out.

2 = L1
3 = L2

Thanks. What I don't understand is why red is on 2 & black on 3 on one old switch with common linked? Other switch is red on common with black on 2.

I HAVE MOVED INTO A HOUSE AND THERE IS NO SWITCH PLATES, UPSTAIRS HAS ONE CABLE, RED BLACK & EARTH.
DOWNSTAIRS HAS TWO CABLES ONE GOING UPSTAIRS AND ONE WHICH I THINK IS THE SUPPLY. CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO WIRE THEM UP, I AM UNSURE OF THE PATH THE CURRENT TRAVELS TO DO THE JOB.
WOULD I BE RIGHT IN SAYING,
UPSTAIRS RED & BLACK GO IN THE EACH POINT ON THE PLATE, IT DOESNT MATTER WHICH ONE.
DOWNSTAIRS BLACK FROM UPSTAIRS GOES INTO COMMON ON THE DOWNSTAIRS PLATE, TWO REDS GO INTO L1( WHICH WILL BE RED FROM UPSTAIRS AND RED FROM SUPPLY) AND SUPPLY BLACK GOES INTO L2.

Sponsored Links
Please turn CAPS LOCK OFF!! Also, replying to old posts sets off the big siren at Mod HQ and they will be along in a minute to slap your wrists :D .

I don't really follow what you think you have, is it a light switch at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom? There doesn't sound to be enough cables for a normal 2way setup, would they have been push timers or something similar? Or are you talking of different lights?

as far as i know there should be a yellow wire but there are only red and black it worked before so there has to be a combination to the wires if you can help please.

thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back