Two way switch issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right this is beyond me....

Next to my lounge door I have a switch. Other side of lounge I have another switch.

Before the plasterer came round and took off the switches off, theyworked fine as a on/off on off at both points.

Wires I can see (ignoring earths).

Switch 1 - Next to door - red (hot), yellow and blue coming up from the ground

Switch 2 - Next to window - red , yellow and blue coming up from the ground.

AND blue and brown going up to the light

Light - blue and brown

Switch 1 and 2 have the following -

Common, Load, L2 terminals

Can someone give me an idea of what I need to do to get these to work?

Sponsored Links
Thanks holmslaw, but this isnt the circuit I have...

The light is not on a loop.... The only hot/live wire is the red one which comes up from the ground into switch one.

See my rather poor drawing of what I have... switch one on the right...

Sponsored Links
The light is not on a loop.... The only hot/live wire is the red one which comes up from the ground into switch one.
Have you actually looked in the ceiling to verify that not only does the light fitting only have 2 conductors going to it but that they really are the same two that come from the switch, and that you haven't got a loop up there with a junction box?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting#how_they_are_wired

PS. And its called 2 way switching :)
Ah - given the OP's use of the term "hot", I suspect he may originate from a land where they speak something superficially the same as English, and where this would be known as "3-way". :)

ban all sheds...

sorry - have watched too many american youtube videos trying to work this out....

anyway - yes def no loop up at the light. Wire runs straight from the LH switch up wall to the wall light light and no other wires to or from light

holmslaw and/or others...

ok - I did as you suggest but am now completely flumuxed....

I connected the RHS R-C, Y -L, and B-L2....

But!!!! at the LHS and using a Electric Screwdriver to check which ones were live... all three R,Y,B seem to be live.. no matter whether the switch is on or off...

In fact touching the terminals of the RHS with the screw driver they are all live when switch is on or off...

This doesn't make any sense to me.... guess I'll bite the bullet and get a prof in.

You mean one of these, don't you

VA292.JPG

not one of these:

3-BoschMini-Driver.jpg

Throw it away and get a multimeter.

haha..... yes..... :eek:

multi-metre - have one of those .... but without knowing which is the Neutral..... i wasn't sure how to check.... hence I just checked the light on the screw driver. Which came on for all three wires!

Those screwdrivers do not tell you anything useful, and can be a hazard. Around here we think the following should happen to them:

By the way, it is multimeter. A metre is a length of measurement. This is the basic unit of length in the International System of Units (SI).

A meter is a measuring instrument for measuring a quantity (voltage in this case).

A metre is also the rhythmic arrangement of syllables in verse, usually according to the number and kind of feet in a line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back