two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have installed spot lights on landing ceiling via existing light how do i wire new twoway switch to have the spotsand existing light to work seperateley thanks

Sponsored Links
Alva is it a two way switch or a two gang switch ( a faceplate with two seperate switches :?:

See the diagrams of 2-way switching circuits in For Reference - all will be revealed.....

rhino36 said:
Alva is it a two way switch or a two gang switch ( a faceplate with two seperate switches :?:
thanks rhino 36 yes it has two separate switches both marked L2 COM LI

Sponsored Links
So it's a 2-gang 2-way switch.

If the landing light is already 2-way (i.e. also switched from the hall), then transfer the wiring to one side of the new switch. The other side just needs to be wired as a 1-way, i.e. COM & L1.

Note that some switches have their terminals arranged in two triangles, one inverted, i.e. the grouping of each COM, L1 & L2 is:
[code:1] COM | L1 L2
|
|
L1 L2 | COM[/code:1]
If the instructions don't say, and there are no markings to make it clear, check with your multimeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back