Two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two sets of downlighters in my kitchen.

There is a two way switch for one set and a one way switch for the other set.

I would like to convert both sets to two way switching.

I believe I could wire both sets of lights to the existing two way switch but I don't always want both sets on at the same time!

I've read that I may be able to replace the switches with kinetic switches but to achieve what I want I believe would be tricky and costly.

Would it be possible to use the existing two way wiring for both sets of lights AND leave the one way switch in place so one set of lights could be switched on independent of the two way switch i.e. one set of lights would have two sources of power? Or is there another solution?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You will need an additional cable between the existing one way switch and a new switch. So likely lots of floor lifting and plaster chopping. Consider the simplicity of leaving things as they are or connecting both up to a single two way system. Led lamps use a lot less electric.

Replace the lights with intelligent units and control them with an app ?

Sponsored Links
Replace the lights with intelligent units and control them with an app ?
This is what I have done, in my case Nest Mini's but Alexa would work the same, hey google turn on kitchen lights turns all on, and say counter lights and just the counter lights come on, can also select with phone.

I will admit it started more by accident, first smart stuff was to stop mother escaping unnoticed, then found no VHF radio where we now live, but now wife has lost use of her fingers and will use voice commands even when standing next to bedroom lights.

This is what I have done, in my case Nest Mini's but Alexa would work the same, hey google turn on kitchen lights turns all on, and say counter lights and just the counter lights come on, can also select with phone.

I will admit it started more by accident, first smart stuff was to stop mother escaping unnoticed, then found no VHF radio where we now live, but now wife has lost use of her fingers and will use voice commands even when standing next to bedroom lights.
The friend I mentioned won't have Alexa type devices as he's paranoid about being listened into so that leave their phones. It's brilliant when a guest needs the loo which doesn't have a window for light :(

My daughter gets worried about Nest listening in, there is a switch on the microphone so easy enough to switch off mic, but then it will not do as you ask of course.

We had a unit supplied with some package deal or other, several years ago.
I think it's in its box in the bottom of a drawer beside a selection of microfilters.:whistle:

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great advice but I'm going to leave as is - it's not important enough to justify the effort to achieve what I'd hoped for.

On to the next project!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back