Two-way wiring

S

Stapler

Hello
I've moved into a flat with two light switches in the hall which presumably were intended for two way lighting as they are connected with three core cable . However while the light works fine, both switches need to be in the "on" position for the light to work, so you turn the light off on one switch, the other switch becomes redundant. I've attached a diagram of the wiring. Firstly, is the wiring sound and what would be the reason for this set-up? And if so, is there a way to connect the wiring for two-way lighting?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• img20210325_13284606.pdf
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
upload_2021-3-25_14-4-53.png

That seems unusual, this
two-way-real.jpg
is normal, but this
two-way-school-boy.jpg
also works, it seems your house is using the second method, which is how we were taught in school, but the first is most popular method, as it means no junction block behind the switch.

Sponsored Links
It would make the 2 way switches work.

(Maybe, like me at first, you couldn't see the yellow wires.)

It would make the 2 way switches work. .... (Maybe, like me at first, you couldn't see the yellow wires.)
Good grief ... folk should make provision for us oldies with worse eyesight than a 15-year-old :)

Thanks for lending me your eyes!

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. As for the connector, well spotted! I've no idea why I drew it incorrectly. Ironic as I thought a drawing would be easier to understand than the photos!

IMG_3950.jpeg IMG_3951.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back