Two way switching.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I understood this, but I am not sure I do, now...

I have a shed with a door at each end, and I want to fit two way switches by each door so I can switch the light on and off from either door.

Because of the layout of the shed, I have the power supply near to one switch, and the light is near the other. So the idea is to power the circuit from one end, and connect the lights at the other.

I have three core and earth running between the switches.

Do I...?

At power supply end:

1. Live supply to common
2. Neutral to Grey on 3-core using choc block
3. L1 = Black on 3 core (brown sleeved)
4. L2 = Brown on 3 core (brown sleeved)

At light end:

1. common to light (brown sleeved)
2. Grey to light using choc block
3. L1 = Black on 3 core (brown sleeved)
4. L2 = Brown on 3 core (brown sleeved)

It looks OK to me on paper, but the use of choc blocks worries me - is there a way of doing it without them?

Any advice would be most welcome... Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Power end:-

INCOMING FEED:-
Brown in to commom, Blue in to choc block.

3 CORE
Brown and black in to L1 + L2
Grey in to choc block with above blue.

Shed end :-

3 CORE.
Brown and black in to L1 + L2
Grey in to choc block.

2 CORE GOING TO LIGHT :-
Brown in to common
Blue into choc block with above grey.

Remember to sleeve cables accordingly and connect/sleeve earths.
There's a better explanation on the Wiki i'm sure.
Any concealed cables should also be RCD protected.
Jobs a good un!!

Sponsored Links
Why didn't you look in the Wiki?

That's not a sarcastic criticism - I'd genuinely like to know if there's something wrong with the Wiki that could be fixed.

No, that's fine BAS - it's a reasonable question. I did look, and found an image that made sense to me. This one:

electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:2way_scheme_v2.jpg

Some of the coloured images on the same page I found less useful, because they were too specific.

To be honest, I think what I ended up doing was over-thinking the situation, and I ended up a little uncertain when I realised that I would need to use choc-blocks to do what I wanted to do. I was reasonably confident it would work, but I somehow got it into my head that I ought to be able to do it without choc-blocks. I lost confidence, and wanted a second opinion. I'd sooner look a **** than burn my shed (or house) to the ground, or electrocute anyone...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back