Type of earthing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the type of earthing called if a flat is fed from a mineral insulated cable and the earth of the flat uses the exterior copper sheath of the mineral insulated cable and also connected to the copper pipe of the gas meter outlet?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can't be sure of that just from the description given. It could just as easily be, say, TN-C-S with metering at a common location and sub-feeds to each flat in M.I. cable. Or DNO-owned distribution in the building with meters at each flat and still TN-C-S. Or even TT.

More information is needed.

Sponsored Links
Flat is fed from a mineral insulated cable and the earth of the flat uses the exterior copper sheath of the mineral insulated cable and also connected to the copper pipe of the gas meter outlet, as previously stated. There area a number of fuse boxes with the main fuses in for a number of flats about the block. I think one box for about 6 flats. So a riser to local fuse boxes in common areas and mineral insulated cable to each flat. That is abut all I know.

Last edited:
OK.

You need to see the supply where it enters the building.

Is there a label anywhere saying "PME" ?
No label in the flats. I do not know where the supply enters the building. It is in London. The mains to the flats were done in the late 1960s.

As said above you need to identify where the DNO supply enters the building. TN-S, TN-C-S, & TT relate to the DNO earthing at the supply not to what is in flat 1, flat 2 Etc. From this and your other posts today on this site i presume you are Diying a HMO, if thats the case then my only advise to you is STOP now and get a qualified sparky in, if you are letting flats/rooms out then you are liable for any injuries from a dangerous installation. To me it looks as though landlord supplies are installed in each flat, if that is the case there will be a DNO supply head somewhere and a qualified spark will locate it and advise on upgrades for a few quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back