Main Earth Cable Connection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me on whether a BS 591 clamp (type used to connect supplementary bonding of copper pipes) is a safe method of connecting the main earth cable from the MET (main earth terminal) to the metal sheath of the incomming supply cable.

If it isn't who is responsible for correcting the faulty connection, as it has been like this since I moved into the property.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
er, no..

it's not acceptable to use an earth clamp for main earth..

you need to get the DNO out.. it's their responsibility to provide you with an earth..

it may be that you are on a TT system, in which case there should be an earth rod somewhere..

if they have to connect to the cable sheath as earth, then they will solder or braize the cable on..

Can anyone advise me on whether a BS 591 clamp (type used to connect supplementary bonding of copper pipes) is a safe method of connecting the main earth cable from the MET (main earth terminal) to the metal sheath of the incomming supply cable.
Whether or not it's safe depends on the effectiveness of the contact point between strap and sheath, and the resistance between the surfaces.

If it isn't who is responsible for correcting the faulty connection, as it has been like this since I moved into the property.
That part of the installation belongs to your DNO, and they are responsible for maintaining it.

If you're in any doubt about it, then why not commission a PIR to check all circuits and all earthing?

you may not even need an earth to the cable sheath if you have TN-C-S wiring system.. the earth will be present on a terminal in the main cutout..

post a photo and we'll tell you what you have..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

Just been next door, checked their supply out and found they had an earthwire from the "cutout"? to the fusebox. My supply has a Henley named block with one earthiwre to the clamp another to the fuse box and another just hanging there not connected to anything.
I've checked this "cutout" to see if there is an entry hole for an earth wire....nothing can be seen...thought the " loose " earth wire might have become dislodged. Next doors had a label saying Earth connected to neutral whatever that means.

From what you say next door have TNC-S which means the earth is supplied combined with the neutral conductor and separated at the premises.
You may or may not have this. I recommend you contact tha DNO to have your supply changed to TNC-S (PME), it will cost you under £100 and will satisfy the safety aspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back