Earthing a water pipe??

In that case your house is safe without any special mitigation measures.
If you're talking about the bathroom, as I said, mine does not have all-plastic plumbing. However, 'safe' is obviously relative, and I certainly regard my house (all of it) as 'safe enough', in that all extraneous-c-ps are bonded and all exposed-c-ps earthed
According to the poster's question it was why does the water pose a danger in the bathroom if it's not very conductive. The answer is the water is a thin layer between the person skin and the metallic parts.
As you know, that's essentially what I told him. I don't think it's quite as simple as just that 'thin layer of water' since, as I told him, water rapidly penetrates the outer layers of skin and considerably reduces the skin resistance, even if there is no 'overt' layer of water.
Take either of those away and the need for mitigation is lower.
Take away all the metallic parts, and there is no need for anything :)
Or put it another way, water and electricity don't mix.
That's what we all say, and it's obviously true in some senses. However, I hope it doesn't make people forget that, even in the total absence of water/humidity/moisture, 230V sending current through one's body (including very dry skin) for a significant period of time is very likely to kill.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fair enough but, as I said, in a house with all-plastic plumbing (not mine), there is probably not going to be any relevant 'touchable metal' in a bathroom, is there? In contrast, it's all over the place in a kitchen, utility room workshop etc.
Knives, forks, spoons, saucepans, frying pans, baking trays, roasting dishes......

Probably a total into the hundreds in my kitchen.

My God - it's a death trap! :eek:

Knives, forks, spoons, saucepans, frying pans, baking trays, roasting dishes...... Probably a total into the hundreds in my kitchen. My God - it's a death trap! :eek:
As you will see from what you quoted, what I wrote was ....
Fair enough but, as I said, in a house with all-plastic plumbing (not mine), there is probably not going to be any relevant 'touchable metal' in a bathroom, is there? In contrast, it's all over the place in a kitchen, utility room workshop etc.
I added that qualification specifically because I just knew that there would be some smart-a**e out there!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
800px-Electric_bath_%28Rankin_Kennedy%2C_Electrical_Installations%2C_Vol_V%2C_1903%29.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back