Earth bonding,...required or not?

Hi I have a similar question, my incoming mains water is Plastic and then reduced down to a stop cock followed by 15mm copper pipe.
I want to replace the copper pipe with chrome pipe so can I just replaced the existing earth clamp onto the new chrome pipe or is this a no no?

Sponsored Links
Interesting that, at 4.45, he thinks 'point of entry' is only inside and not outside point of entry.

Then he mentions the connection within 600mm. (which only applies - wrongly - to internal meters) even though the point of entry would not be.

Hi I have a similar question, my incoming mains water is Plastic and then reduced down to a stop cock followed by 15mm copper pipe.
I want to replace the copper pipe with chrome pipe so can I just replaced the existing earth clamp onto the new chrome pipe or is this a no no?
Have you not read the thread?

You do not need a bonding cable clamp (not earth) if the incoming pipe is plastic.

Yes I have read the thread.

When my house was built some 30 years ago the electrical installation had the earth clamp on the cold water mains in as explained, so I just wanted to replace it like for like.
But I just wanted to understand the requirements / implications !!!

Sponsored Links
Plastic incoming pipes do not require bonding and indeed cannot be bonded.
The internal pipework does not need it either.

So, from the information given, no more main bonding is required.

Many thanks for your sage advice EFL,...daughter will be pleased. (y)

Probably worth getting agreement from the electrician after quoting.
as everyone loves to fit um

Probably worth getting agreement from the electrician after quoting. ... as everyone loves to fit um
If an electrician disagrees, what is he/she going to do/advise - fit an earth clamp onto the plastic pipe?

Kind Regards, John

reading the first post would tell you what one intended to do
We're not talking about the situation in "the first post". Reading the last few posts would tell you that this is a new discussion started by a new question from a different person in post #31.

Kind Regards, John

If an electrician disagrees, what is he/she going to do/advise - fit an earth clamp onto the plastic pipe?

Kind Regards, John
Presumablly if one concluded that the water (as opposed to the pipe carrying the water) did need bonding one would need to insert a section of metal pipe to act as a connection between the bonding wire and the water.

Presumablly if one concluded that the water (as opposed to the pipe carrying the water) did need bonding one would need to insert a section of metal pipe to act as a connection between the bonding wire and the water.
That would be logical - but it's not something that any sane electrician would think necessary. I have never heard anyone suggesting that water should be regarded as an extraneous-conductive-part!

Kind Regards, John

Surely, if the pipe is plastic, then the water would have been insulated from the Earth and therefore not require bonding - oh, wait, I suppose the reservoir or river would not be insulated.

Can't find a suitable emoji.

Surely, if the pipe is plastic, then the water would have been insulated from the Earth and therefore not require bonding - oh, wait, I suppose the reservoir or river would not be insulated.
Yes, I almost said that - but then it occurred to me that there could be a path (through water) to earth (in other nearby premises) much shorter than the path to reservoir/river if the plastic supply pipe connected to earthed metal pipe within those premises :)

Kind Regards, John

BS7671 18th Edition effective 1st Jan’19.

This video highlights recent changes;...of particular interest:- Starts at approx 2min 10secs ; Part 4 ‘Protection for safety’ 411.3.1.2

Metallic pipes having an insulating section at their point of entry need not be connected to the protective equipotential bonding.

This guy explains it really clearly,...even I can understand (some of) it! :confused:

I watched this guys video from start to finish and bizarrely (and to my great surprise) I really enjoyed it;..it beats watching ‘Flog it’ in the afternoon anyway.

I’m just thankful I don’t earn my living being an Electrician,..my god,...all those regulations!...I have nothing but admiration for you guys having to interpret and strictly adhere to all those rules,...which in turn makes all our lives safer, of course.(y)

P.S. please feel free to dissect/dismiss anything in this post,...as is obvious, I'm no authority whatsoever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back