Do I Need to Bond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents - I have just fitted a kitchen with metal sink, copper pipes to taps, with copper fittings on pipework (i.e. no plastic).

I have run an earth equipotential cable from CU to water main stop-cock, in kitchen cupboard.

Do I still need to put additional bonding on pipes below sink?

Sponsored Links
No.

Although a room with a bath or shower is required to have equipotential bonding, this is not now required in a kitchen. You are probably thinking of some old rules when this used to be done.

The main earth bonding you have done to the metal pipe on the consumer's side of the stop cock is correct (10mm) and there should also be one on the incoming gas pipe.

If there is a gas boiler, it seems the corgi people like to see all the gas and water pipes bonded together at the boiler, and to the earth of the electrical supply to the boiler and controls, but this is not an electrical regulation, it seems to be a gas safety thing (and why not)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back