Main Bonding, plastic pipes.

The problem is admittedly partly in trying to make sense of the regulations from a safety point of view, but it is also to make sense of them from a complying-with point of view.

So if I simply bulldoze ahead and bond where the plastic first turns to copper, then I might stand a reasonable chance of complying, but I would continue to have a house where the majority of the plumbing was only indirectly earthed. Hard to see how this now bonded section of piping was 'in general contact with the mass of the earth'.

Perhaps this does comply with the sense of the regs, if the idea is to provide a foolproof way of neutralising risk whenever a piece of metal enters the building. Perhaps this is exactly the point of the regulation? It is after all rather akin to what is done in a bathroom, the attention is on conductors entering the space without worrying too much about what is actually connected outside the bathroom, just that they enter it. Only in the case of plastic supplies, conductors do not in fact enter the protected space.???

I really hate to cite the on site guide on anything, but it does say that no services have to be bonded unless they are extraneous metal parts. Which gets us back to the accepted definition of an extraneous metal part?

Now what I really don't like is where it tells you to cross bond the lightning conductor. That sounds like a perfectly terrible way of bringing extraneous sources of voltage/current into an otherwise safe area. Lightning is perfectly capable of turning all that earthing into fusewire.

Sponsored Links
Fascinatingly unhelpful. For my money, that reads as saying any service entering the house as a plastic pipe is not an extraneous metal whatsit and so does not need to be bonded. Therefore you would not bother bonding your metal stopcock/piping when the plastic supply comes right into the house.

It seems to me that this is not what happens in practice.

I have always understood it, that if the suply pipe is plastic, and the consumers part copper - you stil have to bond.

If its all plastic, no bond.

Question is, if the supply is plastic, and the first 10m or so of the consumers is plasic, and thenturns into copper under the floor or in the loft, does this require bonding??

Good practise to run a bond to the main stop tap, even if you know it will all be plastic - for the future and all that. And you know plumbers, they change their mind like the wind.

Sponsored Links
yes exactly lec, normal practice says one thing, regulation appears to say another. Is a pipe system coming into the house on plastic an extraneous metal part or is it not?

It might be better if there is a visible plastic length of say 1m where it comes in to clearly demonstrate that the pipe is wholly insulated, but any plastic disappearing into the ground is likely enough to insulate from any metal section below.

Recent in terms of my first conversation with him in 1987, but about 12m ago.

Lectrician said:
I have always understood it, that if the suply pipe is plastic, and the consumers part copper - you stil have to bond.

If its all plastic, no bond.

Question is, if the supply is plastic, and the first 10m or so of the consumers is plasic, and thenturns into copper under the floor or in the loft, does this require bonding??

Good practise to run a bond to the main stop tap, even if you know it will all be plastic - for the future and all that. And you know plumbers, they change their mind like the wind.

i thought all pipe beyond the outdoor stopcock at the edge of your premisis was yours

Lectrician said:
So if you had a metal sculpture screwed to the wall, would you bond that?

If you had metal curtain tracks, would you bond those?

If you had a metal and glass table, would you bond the legs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back